We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thefts from marylanza

Which Playa de las Americas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cheshire
Level Contributor
114 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Thefts from marylanza

there seems to be a theme of people getting stuff from toiletries to i pods nad DSis stolen from this hotel ??? is it not vert secure ??

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,103 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thefts from marylanza

Irrespective of how secure a hotel tries to be, people have to take responsibility for their own actions and if someone leaves their DSi on their sunbed and walks away it is asking for trouble. Having said that the other incident mentioned where the family reported their theft to the police is rather worrying and the hotel did seem to try and assist as much as possible.

These are the first bad reviews I have heard about this hotel apart from people not liking the fact they can't leave towels on their sunbeds and disappear for hours on end (lol). It will be interesting to see the Director General's response as he takes the reviews very seriously.

http://redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,619 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thefts from marylanza

I have stayed there many times in the past and have found this to be very secure .At night the entrance doors are closed and most nights there is a security guard on duty at others a senior member of staff .If you wish to gain entry once the doors are closed you have to knock and wait for whoever to open them ,once he does you have to show him your room key and he will check your booking .Yes thats on a night time ,but many other hotels just leave the doors open so if the security has be called to deal with other matters people could wander in freely .The Marylanza again in the past often had security patrolling during the evening making their presence known.

In its structure what is deemed as ground floor ,is actually below street level .but the ceilings are high so this brings it above street level as such .First floor level where rooms (and Pool) are from the street have a low wall with an iron/steel spiked fence then hedges behind .To gain entry that way i feel would be very difficult but as we all know where theres a way !!!Rooms are opened with keycards which i have found is one of the safest ways as ,but again not a way that cant be got round i suppose "Where theres a will theres away "

Staff in past have been more than honest and trustworthy .I have left out both money and jewelry items (not me the wifey!) nothing has ever been touched not even when maintainance work needed whilst there was done by an outside company

So with that in mind .....i always use a safe ,yes contradictorty of the statement above but those where just lapses ( very late nights and early morning dash outs ).We should always remember ,that till proved its may well not be down to staff ,even thieves and robbers from here in the UK have holidays .So maybe this situation has arisen from a thieving holidaymaker on his/her/their week/2 week holiday !!

Another fact ....not that i am saying these people are telling porkies ,but it seems these days there are lots who make false reports so as to gain some money from their insurance companies !!

I think if this really is the case ,the hotel will act with great urgency and not be complacent of the facts laid before them .Really sad to hear of this

As for the sunbed issues ,the hotel has always acted on towel reservation removal !!They do have attendants who collect these and put them into a large wheelie bin (yes its clean there just for the sole purpose of towel removal ,its funny though watching these irksome people trying to reach in to regain their towels !) So unlike other hotels that have boards up saying its not allow this hotel does act upon this ,and unlike some hotels its not just acted upon by those of us from the UK .These are another reason i dont think the hotel will leave these matters of theft to go on and will do their utmost ............again very sad to here this

up north
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thefts from marylanza

if you dont want to risk anything being stolen i would go somewhere else, there are plenty of other places..

peace of mind is worth a lot..

Edited: 29 August 2012, 08:11
Ireland, UK
Level Contributor
2,533 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thefts from marylanza

I don,t think it matters where you go, there are dishonest people all over the world and it,s just common sense to put anything of value in a safe .

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thefts from marylanza

just got back from there today after a week and can honestly say saw or heard nothing about thefts, felt secure and would defo go back, they have safes you can use in your room, most people id spoke were re visiting this hotel too oneleg is def right about all his info on this hotel

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,619 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thefts from marylanza

I thought about you yesterday MMarg ,i knew you wre there but not sure of your return dates .....really glad you liked the hotel (phew! its always a relief when you say how good a place is ) and yes they do get quite a few return guests,so glad this continues ..........

cheshire
Level Contributor
114 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thefts from marylanza

bloody ell maashed Ive read your post on hear , cant believe your back , only 12 days til we go now ... holidays go too fast :-(

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,619 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thefts from marylanza

Hope thats a further reassurance Pee ,if anything was going on whilst MMarg was there i think she would have heard .Its such a friendly hotel and people do like to sit and chat soon word would spread .Hopefully it may just be disgruntled tourists or a one off .Sad to say it can happen ,and people unfortunately let their guard down " in holiday mood" they leave windows doors open ,valuables left sitting about,show to all and sundry their I Phones ,laptops etc when they dont even know the people they are talking to !! First its "Is this your first week?"next "Oh where are you staying?" Then " Oh! we stayed there last year in room .." ," Oh! we are in room ...." OK most are just genuine people but others are armed with info ! sad old world .The worst are those that wont pay the cost of a safe !!! WHY? ...they maybe lucky .If not it could be a full day spent at the police station .If making a claim it will need the equivilant of a Crime Number ,to report a theft may involve a translator whose fees arent cheap .And after all this if its left sitting about and not in a safe ....Insurance companys Will Not Pay out !!! sad Fact ,if there is a get out clause insurers will duck out .So you have wasted a day ,taxi fees up and down to report go back again for crime number ,Fees for translator ...bet this adds upto more than 15/20 euros !!! FOOLS ....

PHEW !!!lol

12 days lucky lucky you ...23 for me ,cant come quick enough !!As always will be leaving I Phone at home cheap and cheerful one ready to take .no lap top but will take a decent camera which will be locked in the safe when not securely tied about my person (hopefully it wont go off !! I dont think anyone wants a picture of my .......lol)

cheshire
Level Contributor
114 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thefts from marylanza

pmsl@ oneleg !!! yes were on the count down cant wait !!! the reviews are mostly really good . I cant believe that anyone wouldnt get a safe :-/ and to be fair you ought not to leave stuff out but as you say on occassion ppl do forget :-)

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,619 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thefts from marylanza

Yes people do forget ,done that myself ...but always sounds odd when its stolen just as they happen to have forgot .Yes sceptical ,but there are those that are as bad as thieves,making a fraudulent claim something has been stolen ....because that not only puts up our insurance but blights a hotels good name ,and makes those who have been robbed harder to make a claim ...shame on them !!!

Anyway hope the temps keep up for you 28 at present and sea temp of 22 !!!

HAVE A FANTASTIC TIME .....keep your valuables safe

Get answers to your questions about Playa de las Americas