We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whats happening with this talk of Muggings

Nottingham
Level Contributor
992 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Whats happening with this talk of Muggings

I have noticed just lately there has been a number of alledged muggings in PDLA,if true what the hell is happening,i expect Aquilas will be advising later if there is something we need to be aware of.

It is very disturbing and in this financial climate something PDLA cannot afford to be happening,we are over again in 10 days and this is somewhat worrying.

north east
Level Contributor
893 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whats happening with this talk of Muggings

Just made a similar comment on the 'not sure which pubs to go to' thread. Going in Feb with my wife,(now having second thoughts) and my daughter was mugged in September.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
11,771 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whats happening with this talk of Muggings

Well I'm going in 2 weeks & I'm not one bit worried,this kind of thing happens in all resorts not just Tenerife, IMO the reports today are about the veronicas area which is mostly for 18 to 30,i go to benidorm a lot & this crops up from time to time too,but i walk about beni day & night myself & nothing every happened to me,I'm not saying it doesn't happen but i just keep my wits about me don't carry anything that would attract a would be mugger so to speak,its probably not a mugging as such its a theft from a Pocket or handbag,I'm going to enjoy my 2 weeks away in the Sun, & nothings going to stop me!!!

Mentioned in this post
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
cleethorpes
Level Contributor
12,157 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whats happening with this talk of Muggings

No one can say "it doesnt happen ",Like no one can say " It doesnt happen Anywhere in the world " Sad fact its out there .....

On the other thread ,sadly nearly all doom and gloom .If your not enjoying somewhere for whatever reason ,everything else becomes a major issue .

@NorthEast Pope ,your place of stay MareOla Portosan firstly is no where near Veronicas .

Marola Portosan formerly Stellar Polaris ,i have gone past here at varying times of the day ,night and the 5.30 am return from bars .Never once even though disabled felt unsafe in that area (in fact never feel unsafe anywhere in Tenerife) Bars along that stretch of road are used mainly by locals .Many used by taxi Drivers and Police at all hours .The Paz Strip is your nearest area of entertainment and with the Guardia Civil station only two minutes away thats an extremely safe area. I go out "Near Veronicas " but dont go into that area ,theres nothing there for me .Its easy to avoid and theres no need for anyone to either if their not looking for those types of clubs .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anything is going to happen be it Drug dealing ,Ladies of the Night ,robbery ( there is a difference between robbery and mugging lets not forget .Mugging usually has an act of violence .) then you can say it will happen where 18/30s Club Land is ....Lads and lasses being drunk gives them out to be an easy target .Groups of lads thinking they have pulled because some woman is coming on to them ,yet they are falling fowl to the pickpockets .And of course with the oldest profession in the world theres always some fella looking for a woman .They all then blame Tenerife and not them selves ...not saying they deserve it !

Police ...people condemn the police for not acting ,some say they only act when locals complain .Do they consider this ....Does every tourist take time out of their holidays to report these crimes .Or do they think "Ok Someone else will do it " .when reports are made it takes many hours out of their holiday so many cant be bothered .Same goes with the case going to trail ,its never immediate and may be some months down the line .So if they have to return to give evidence they will have air fares ,hotels etc to pay for .Which i think i am right in saying you cant claim back nor does Tenerife have legal aid ...this is why imo police dont act .Which is what the rotten so and so's rely on .Rob/Mug/ the tourist .So who is to blame easy to say the police ......

Do i feel 100% safe where i live ....like heck .I do however feel safe in Tenerife .Lower crime rate on the whole of the island than a small town near me .

Edited: 26 November 2012, 16:22
Mentioned in this post
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
Worthing
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Whats happening with this talk of Muggings

We have just come back from Tenerife, there were no problems at all. Enjoy your holiday and take the normal precautions.

Mentioned in this post
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
Worthing
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Whats happening with this talk of Muggings

We have just come back from Tenerife, there were no problems at all. Enjoy your holiday and take the normal precautions.

Mentioned in this post
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
11,771 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whats happening with this talk of Muggings

Well said oneleg,!!! Couldn't agree more,

north east
Level Contributor
893 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whats happening with this talk of Muggings

Thanks for the re-assurance OLNF,you obviously know a lot more about Tenerife than me.

This year was our first visit to Tenerife and we had a fantastic time.

Before that we had done most of our holidaying in Lanzarote,twice a year for 8 years, and never once felt threatened,or unsafe,sometimes returning at all hours to our apartments up to a mile away.

My own bad experiences of Tenerife, was my daughter being robbed outside PS2,(cross over bag cut from her shoulder) and me personally being frisked and offered drugs or a lady for the night.

My wife and myself will return in Feb. because as I say apart from those bad experiences,we did have an excellent holiday and there is so much more for us to do and see in Tenerife.

My daughter was nervous about going out after what happened to her, but I told her not to let them beat you, and continue to enjoy yourself, which is exactly what we intend to do.

Mentioned in this post
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
Lanzarote
Lanzarote
Canary Islands, Spain
Cheshire
Level Contributor
137 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whats happening with this talk of Muggings

Not a mugging, but when we were there in April we saw a poor women walking along on her own who was being mithered by a Black African woman to have her hair braided. The woman was politely telling her " no thank-you" but the braider persisted, grabbing her hair as she was walking along and started to braid it. The poor victim had no choice, she could not get away as she firmly had hold of her hair! If she had only been as aggressive as her and told her where to go she would have been ok, but she was too polite. This was in the middle of the day. Think it would be a better resort if they chased these braiders and watch and chain men as far away as poss.

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
12,157 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whats happening with this talk of Muggings

Hi NEPOPE ,yes i remember your post about your daughters robbery .If you recall i though you meant it had happened at Veronicas .I think she was extremely unlucky for it to happen right outside her hotel .More so in that particular area .Sad fact ,it being on a one way system if they run away from the flow of the traffic its hard for anyone to give chase !

If theres any football on re Spains matches its a great area to see the locals work themselves into a frenzy ! in a nice way ,not like our supporters .

Its not that i know more than anyone else and i never presume to know so .just as a non drinking disabled scooter user i am weary of my surroundings so i see things more than those staggering home late at night ...that right Hazel isnt it !!!LOL LOL

north east
Level Contributor
893 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whats happening with this talk of Muggings

Thanks OLNF your posts were a great help for my holiday in September along with other regulars.

I am looking at the paz strip area you have mentioned, that is near to where we are staying in Feb, at the Mar ola Portison,as when I booked it, my wife moaned it was too far out from the nightlife,but on checking the map it is'nt too far at all,and it is somewhere we did,nt go to on our last holiday,mainly staying around the Patch area,so you have cheered her up.

Get answers to your questions about Playa de las Americas