We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where's Hospiten Sur ("Green Hospital")?

Which Playa de las Americas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
north west england
Level Contributor
1,813 posts
374 reviews
Save Topic
Where's Hospiten Sur ("Green Hospital")?

I hope I never need to know the answer to this question!

But, even though I've been coming to the area for years, I can't recall ever seeing this hospital - which I understand is the main private hospital in the area and, therefore, the place I would need to go to get, say, a minor injury treated.

Does anyone know where it is, please?

Puerto de la Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where's Hospiten Sur ("Green Hospital")?

Here's a link to the website (in Spanish).

hospiten.es/hospiten/…

It's near the football stadium in Las Americas.

north west england
Level Contributor
1,813 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where's Hospiten Sur ("Green Hospital")?

Many thanks. I know the stadium - must have wlaked past the hospital entrance road a number of times.

Renfrewshire...
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where's Hospiten Sur ("Green Hospital")?

Hello, believe me, you dont want to go there. I have just returned from my holiday and luckily enough, I was in Compostela Beach Golf Club II which is 10 minutes walk. I took lets say bad piles and went to chemist, cream didnt work and after a few days it wasnt looking so good. On boxing day the thomas cook rep told me not to go to any doctor but to go straight down into hospital,- try and avoid at all costs, they have interpreters, take all your medical papers, make you sign papers, you get called in eventually and see a doc and through big german interpreter woman Oh you have masssseeev heamorroids, operation, operation, then ecg then x ray then a room then left in room for hours then dinner then stuff fed through veins in yur hands, no-one speaks much english, got prepared for op, surgeon came next day and said didnt need it, waited ages to get out hubby had to go down pay 1000 euros to get me out, then recommended cream from chemist 12 euros. We met loads of people waiting to pay. Ive since found out I should have phoned the helpline from travel company and they would have got me a doctor and liaised with him. I only hope you never have to go there nor me again, best to go through your travel company - they even charged for the latex gloves the nurse used. We were so near we could hear ambulances all day and night, soon as your in the door, the meter starts ticking. Wonder what anyone who stays there thinks, would be interesting.

Edited: 03 January 2013, 15:11
Renfrewshire...
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where's Hospiten Sur ("Green Hospital")?

For a minor injury they still give you a room and keep you in, woman next bed to me was german and she had fallen, they were baically feeding her diclofenic and they were not nice to her saying lady lady what are you doing when she couldnot get on and off the bed, she didnt need to be there, they had bandaged her and were basically giving her painkillers and she kept aying she was not in pain, they dont even know your name, they dont ask for any medical history, I could go on and on.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
222 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where's Hospiten Sur ("Green Hospital")?

I had a good experience at hospital, bad ear infection, tried doctors and chemist but last resprt went to the hospital as I was close to flying home. Saw ENT consultant as soon as I arrived, ok, had to pay 200 euros, but infection gunge was removed from ear (using the latest equipment) told I had a small (old) perforation which NHS had never told me, so was ok to fly. Insurance reimbursed me less the £50 excess. This year, again ear got infected, did the chemist, came home with infection and due to the lack to care by NHS, the infection raged for 6 wks and I now have hearing loss. So, I know what I will do the next time I am in PDLA with an ear infection.

Renfrewshire...
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where's Hospiten Sur ("Green Hospital")?

Hi Sandra, yes that is what I would have expected as well, just like when you go to out of ours here at home but it was only a doctor that looked at me, I should have been seen by the surgeon that day and not left in hospital all day and night then the surgeon coming in the morning. I suppose an ear infection is a different matter but my own doctor even took a dim view of how I was treated. Lets hope we dont have to visit again or you have to stay overnight awaiting an operation!!!!! Ive been told to contact insurance company next time and they will arrange for a doctor.

north west england
Level Contributor
1,813 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where's Hospiten Sur ("Green Hospital")?

I think you're always best to try and contact your insurance company before having treatment that's likely to be expensive. A few years back, in laws didnt and we had a right struggle getting the company to pay out (had to take them to the Insurance Ombudsman in the end).

I reckon there must be good and bad stories about every hospital (I'm a volunteer at our local one, by the way) but I suppose to some extent you're stuck with what you've got. When I posted this, I had in mind something like having a fall and knowing it was going to need stiches or something. You'd want to get somewhere pretty quick and get treatment. I know there's a Spanish "NHS" hospital somewhere in the south where you could, presumably, use your EHIC card - but I've read that, not surprisingly, they don't speak English and I have no idea what its like there.

Renfrewshire...
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where's Hospiten Sur ("Green Hospital")?

Yes its made me think about next time - in the likes of Magaluff, Palma Nova and some places they have british doctors so maybe a destination expert who stays over there might know of a better way lets hope they read this also in the private hospital they use interpreters all the time and believe me, they are all woman and the german ones - well they terrified my husband. I watch the benidorm programme about the hospital there and its totally different, next time I will telephone insurance company.

Puerto de la Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Tenerife
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where's Hospiten Sur ("Green Hospital")?

It's good advice harters about contacting insurance companies rather than taking advice from anyone else.

My aunt's experience of Hospiten in Puerto de la Cruz was very positive. Like Sandra, the treatment she received was first class. But it was all arranged by her travel insurance company.

Renfrewshire...
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where's Hospiten Sur ("Green Hospital")?

Yes I agree I did not go about it the right way, so next time I will do that and it means I probably would have not had to stay in hospital thanks for that.

Get answers to your questions about Playa de las Americas