We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Following on from Hospiten Sur Thread.

Which Playa de las Americas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Following on from Hospiten Sur Thread.

The thread about the man ending up having a heart attack was very sad and only two nights ago Watchdog and the News were highlighting all the problems us British have abroad when we need hospital treatment and indeed anything from the chemist. It now seems that Spain is going to face a fine for being in breach of the EU rules about the E11 card. I have spoken of my experience in the hospiten sur and witnessed other nationalities as well getting ripped off. It is very true they are only interested in your insurance company and are not interested in the E11 card - so if someone could post on this thread any helpful advice for this year's travellers to avoid being ripped off. The price of medicines in the chemists are totally over the top. When I told my doctor how much I paid for cream she was horrified! this was recommended from the hospital and cost 12 euros!! In the light of the recent news regarding Spain being fined for this, any help from anyone would be of great advantage. Im not sure where I would go for a hospital that took the E11 card so that would be helpful too.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Following on from Hospiten Sur Thread.

I have just listened to a radio phone-in on this very subject.

They more or less said to tell a lie and say you don't have holiday insurance, (but have an EHIC) meaning the hospital would have to treat you for free!

Edited: 31 May 2013, 14:43
Ireland, UK
Level Contributor
2,436 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Following on from Hospiten Sur Thread.

Yes but that wouldn't have helped the poor man who was transferred to another hospital in the North because they wouldn't treat him as his insurance was invalid.

Surely nobody just after a heart attack should be transferred miles away? And I'm sure the stress didn't help.

I still think the best advice is don't rely on your EHIC .

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Following on from Hospiten Sur Thread.

Yes, I know L, just repeating what was said on the Radio 2 phone-in. It seems that when people arrive at the hospital they are more interested in seeing cash or credit card before they treat the patient. That is wrong.

It's an absolute disgrace that they wouldn't treat the gentleman that had the heart attack and sent him miles away in the condition he was in.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
16,818 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Following on from Hospiten Sur Thread.

>><Im not sure where I would go for a hospital that took the E11 card so that would be helpful too.<<<

@paisleyp I sent you all this information when you asked back in January. I still have a copy of your PM and my reply, if you no longer have it would you like me to resend?

redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

Ireland, UK
Level Contributor
2,436 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Following on from Hospiten Sur Thread.

I know from experiencing my husband having a heart attack that I certainly would just want him in hospital ASAP.

In his case being at home, he was in hospital and had a clot busting injection all in less than 20 mins including a 12 mile ambulance journey!

I think maybe for broken limbs or less urgent medical ailments it might be okay to try and insist they take the EHIC ,but for urgent medical assistance we don't really have a choice ,and callous as it may be insurance is the first thing they ask for!

Edited: 31 May 2013, 16:29
6. Re: Following on from Hospiten Sur Thread.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline protecting the personal privacy of our users. We will remove messages that include real names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, street addresses, Instant Messenger handles and nicknames that are provided without permission from that user.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2013, 17:16
Chayofa, Spain
Level Contributor
245 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Following on from Hospiten Sur Thread.

The problem we have in the south is the lack of a social hospital, because it's still being built. Hospiten Sur is a private hospital so won't take EHIC card as cover for medical care. My advice is that until the social hospital has opened, you must have travel insurance. So many people don't.

London, England
Level Contributor
7,774 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Following on from Hospiten Sur Thread.

There was an article regarding this in yesterday's El Pais newspaper. The EU has received so many complaints about Spanish Social Security hospitals not accepting EHIC there is now going to be an inquiry. By all accounts many are not respecting the EHIC, but asking if the person to be treated has holiday insurance. Many of these hospitals are then billing the insurance companies direct and charging exorbitant amounts.

This is totally against EU membership rules. Mind you, anybody travelling without proper travel insurance is an absolute fool.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
203 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Following on from Hospiten Sur Thread.

Hi everybody,

I am not an expert on this, and I understand the stress that these people have gone through, but as far as I understand it, the EHIC card gets you the same treatment as say a local but at the state hospital and not a private hospital or private clinic.

After witnessing recent events, I would also recommend and would not even travel without holiday insurance, and it costs me more than standard because I have renal failure, on dialysis and have diabetes also but still only costs me about £45 per holiday. A small price for a lot of treatment.

I cannot believe how many times you see these story's appear and the people concerned do not have insurance. I know insurance depends on age but on a comparison web site you can get basic insurance for as little as £8:95. ( I have done it ! ) The EHIC is not a replacement for holiday insurance and if you have insurance then the private clinics will deal with you.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
52 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Following on from Hospiten Sur Thread.

Is there no public hospital in Playa de Las Americas/Los Cristianos? I'm really struggling to find one just by using Google.

Get answers to your questions about Playa de las Americas