We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches near Santiago

Which Playa de las Americas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
wigan
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Beaches near Santiago

Hi all me and my girlfriend are going to PLA for the first time in August, I was wondering what the beaches are like we have always gone rot Greece and are used to white sand and blue sea, how do the ones around PLA compare? I know it's volcanic but was told there is a man made beech that's quite nice.

Also I'm not sure what to take money wise, we will be going for two weeks will £1500-1800 be enough for two people, I'm not much of a drinker but my mrs does lol, just looking for others experiences on this as it will vary quite a lot.

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches near Santiago

Straight behind Parque Santiago 3 & 4 is basically a rocky beach ,this area is mainly used by the local surfing guys and gals .If you head left when facing the sea the first beach you come to is Playa El Camison a small golden sand beach ( 2 mins walk from the bridge from PS3 ) Then as you carry on passing the back of Cleopatra ,Sir Antony ,Tenerife Royal Gardens Compostello Beach Apts ,and Vista Sur shopping centre is Playa Las Vistas ,which IMO is the best beach in the area .It too is golden sand ,and runs from Vista Sur to the tunnel at the port of Los Cris. PS 3/4 to Playa Las Vistas 10 mins ,Vista Sur to the tunnel at the port of Los Cris 20 mins .

Playa Las Vistas has an area called San Telmo which tiers up from the sea front walkway .These bars and restaurants have stunning views over the beach and coast line .Heres a link to this area .....

http://www.ccsantelmo.com/eng/shops.hml

Money wise ...during the day you can get a pint from 1 euro ,breakfast from 2.95 euros (we like El Cedros best under PS2) Lunch time snacks from 2.50 Euros ( salads,toasties ,burger etc ) 3 course evening meals from 8 Euros .

Supermarket ...there are places dotted around but expensive .IMO the one straight over from PS3 is better than most in your area but still pricey .So to help here is a map link .....

tenerifetravel.com/maps/southtenerife_large.…

Mercadonnas is the best supermarket in the area for both price and selection .This supermarket is in square E8 turn right at CC Aborra ( where a large electrical store is sited on the corner) and its just over the road on the left .

Iceland store ...slightly more expensive that back here in the UK but still fair prices .The store is under Paraiso Royal in square D7

However for daily stuff like water milk bread ,just get close by ,prices make little difference

You dont say which Parque Santiago you are staying but all close together .So to give you an idea of how far everything is ,it takes approx 10 mins to cross a square .

Playa Las Vistas is in square E9

Money have you got enough ? unless like me your wifes a very keen shopper (ARRGGHH!!) then i would say yes .If she is a keen shopper with the Safari Shopping Centre near to all the Parque Santiagos ...then NO! lol

If you let others know which Parque Santiago your staying they may recommend bars and restaurants to help

Edited: 08 July 2013, 06:11
cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches near Santiago

Blue Sea ..........with clear blue skies ,you get a clear blue sea

Walsall, United...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches near Santiago

Tell that to Blackpool!!! :)

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches near Santiago

Why has it moved to Tenerife ??

Walsall, United...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches near Santiago

No but it had a clear blue sky but the sea was still brown and dirty looking!

Sorry, I thought you meant generally speaking, if the sky's blue then so is the sea!

Las Vistas beach is very nice and also the small one closer to ps3!

Right outside ps3 is where you can watch the surfers and a great thing about this area is the rock pools! There is a big rock pool and it gets full of these bright blue fish! Then you find a small rock pool about half a metre wide and often you'll see tiny versions of these blue fish! I havent a clue what they are called but they look quite tropical!

Edited: 08 July 2013, 08:33
Ireland, UK
Level Contributor
2,442 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches near Santiago

To be honest Rob the beaches in Tenerife are nothing like the white sand beaches in Greece.

The ones Onleg suggests are the best in that area and there are a few nice ones in other parts of the island but You would probably need a car.

I would think that's plenty of money to take with you. Eating out and drinking in Las Americas is very competitive and you will have lots of choice . Enjoy.

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beaches near Santiago

Dont apologise Chivas ....mine was just banter back as its how i took your post .......though where i live it does have the "Blue Flag" for beaches ,waters etc but the mud banks dont help in the Blue Sea area either !! Wish i was in Tenerife ,its raining here !!

If you look towards Veronicas (square D6) on the map link just after it is Playa Troya ,this is soft brown sand .After the tunnel and port area of Los Cris the town beach is golden sand (Square F9)

Barrow-in-Furness...
Level Contributor
174 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beaches near Santiago

Hi Rob, do have a look in the little super market under Santiago 5 its across from Santiago 3, not as cheap as the bigger places further afield but its spotless clean and they have a lovely bakery in there with cakes to die for, you don't say which property your staying at but its worth the walk even if your in 1 or 2.

Walsall, United...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beaches near Santiago

I went to Mablethorpe once! Nice beaches but very windy when we were there! I recall Grimsby smelling of fish! lol

I agree, those cakes are lovely in the supermarket opposite S3! We used that shop every day! Yes it's slightly dearer but not too bad and it's open until about 11pm!

I recall last time we were there getting a 12 pack of San Miguel and a free San Miguel Sombrero! :)

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,466 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beaches near Santiago

Windy maybe the ,,,mushy Peas !! Not much smell of fish these days in Grimsby ,not much of afishing fleet left

Mercadonnas does open Sunday / bank holidays so use else where .Sounds like the others charge more to keep them clean !!lol

Spirits /Cigarettes ...for usually the best prices try the shops called "Spanish Style" ,your nearest if you look at the map link is round the corner from La Siesta and just before Hotel Best Tenerife ( on this map link called Tenerife Princess ) where you can see two yellow boxes in square D8

Get answers to your questions about Playa de las Americas