We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food/drink in sprmarkets+ restaurant nr PS3 - allergic child

Which Playa de las Americas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Food/drink in sprmarkets+ restaurant nr PS3 - allergic child

Hi all

We are travelling to PDLA staying in PS3 from 20Dec to 3 Jan. We have a child with a rare allergic condition which means she can only tolerate a few foods. Most food makes her poorly! I know this seems a bit random but does anyone happen to know if I can easily buy any of the following in supermarkets nearby (or maybe tell me what I am unlikely to be able to buy if most is available) - sweetpotato, carrots, whitepotatos, corgette, bananas, grapes, chicken, salmon, pork, ham, pears, avocados.

That is pretty much a complete list of what she can eat and we will obviously bring with us dired stuff that she can have like special flour , bread, free from pastas etc, some of which she gets on prescription. I know none of that over there but wonder about the fresh food in the supermarkets?!

Also has anyone experienced eating out in restaurants on a restricted diet / with allergies? To be honest we probably wont risk it because of any cross contamination or misunderstanding of her ' safe foods' but if anyone has been to anywhere that either speaks excellent English and is accommodating - or has first hand experience of a restaurant cooking some food excluding ingredients such as wheat, eggs, dairy etc - I would be most grateful for any info!!

thanks for your help

Julie

Ireland, UK
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food/drink in sprmarkets+ restaurant nr PS3 - allergic child

I have bought all those from the Mercadonna supermarket which is about a 20 minute walk from PS3 .

There is a smaller supermarket just across the road at PS5 where I have bought everything above apart from the salmon and sweet potato but it is a lot more expensive.

Sorry I can't help you with restaurants suitable for allergy sufferers .

The supermarkets have great fresh fruit and vegetables and the pork is excellent .

Do be aware that the grapes although delicious,usually have pips in them .

I hope this is helpful for you .

Airdrie, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Food/drink in sprmarkets+ restaurant nr PS3 - allergic child

As LA says Mercadonna is great and definitely best prices but there is also a lovely supermarket opposite PS3 [Gran Via] although it is quite a bit more expensive but sometimes you just want handy.

Hope you have great holiday and I'm sure you will find everything you want.

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,465 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food/drink in sprmarkets+ restaurant nr PS3 - allergic child

To help with what the others have said ...

Mercadonnas route....come out of PS3 heading right you will then come to a road separating the Safari Centre ( with Med Palace at your back ,big blue hotel) go up that road till you reach Andorra Apartments turn right up the road opposite ( garden/park areas either side of the road ) you will then come to a large electrical store at CC Aborra ,on the corner where its sited turn right and Mercadonnas is just over the road .

Now ...you wont see the store as its below ground level at this side ,so take lift /stairs down .And when you have paid make sure you come back up the same way ! As its built on a hillside you can come back out from store level but this will put you off your bearings ! 15/20 mins walk.If your doing a big shop there is a taxi rank opposite the electrical store ,approx 3 euros fare but still makes a big saving on other supermarkets .

Remember too....local tap water is high in mineral content ,so you will need to use bottled water for drinks ,and maybe where your little one is concerned also use bottled water for such things as cleaning teeth ,washing fruit and veg

Iceland store.....a tad more expensive than back home ,and they have a butchers counter to ( nice meat imo )

Route ...come out of PS 3 and go left then with PS4 at your back cross over to Park Club Europe ( opposite Villa Cortez ) then carry straight on ,passing on your right La Siesta Hotel ,Los Cordonnes ,Parque Cristobal ,Colon 2 till you reach the bank on the next corner .Facing you is The House Restaurant ( these do a Gluten Free Menu if that helps) right of the restaurant is Iceland . 12 mins walk

( THANKS Garelochy for the name of the supermaket ) Gran Via i noticed has a section to the right of the store just before the cakes which has/had a Gluten free section i noticed last trip .But they do swap things around .....they had some Gluten free bakery items on the cake stall too .

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto de la Cruz, Weston-super-Mare, Tenerife
Level Contributor
3,816 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food/drink in sprmarkets+ restaurant nr PS3 - allergic child

Hi, there are plenty of fresh fruit and veg around. Buy daily as they do not keep well in the heat. Most supermarkets have a good selection of gluten and salt free foods.

For restaurants, I suggest you write out strict instructions on cards, in Spanish, what your daughter can and CANNOT eat. Use one of the translation sites on the Internet to help. You can then give a card to the chef.

Local people love children, I am sure they will do everything to help.

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,465 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food/drink in sprmarkets+ restaurant nr PS3 - allergic child

A bonus with Mercadonnas is you pick the amount you want ,unlike lots of supermarkets where everything is prepacked .They have a fantastic fish counter too,again though you can get prepacked they also do loose too.

A few Chinese restaurants now do a selection of Sushi ,with things like Chicken ,fish and steaks so they only put on what you require with regards to sauces ,condiments etc .And a selection of salad items too .

London
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food/drink in sprmarkets+ restaurant nr PS3 - allergic child

Thank you all for the replies and info this is very useful for us and really appreciate your time and help

Julie

Oslo
Level Contributor
27 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food/drink in sprmarkets+ restaurant nr PS3 - allergic child

You should take a allergie card with you. There are apps and you can find then online as well. Just google allergie card, and you'll find lots of options. 👍

London, England
Level Contributor
7,774 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food/drink in sprmarkets+ restaurant nr PS3 - allergic child

I have a family member with various allergies. I write out a card for them in Spanish to show to restaurant staff. They get it laminated and have told me it works very well.

London
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food/drink in sprmarkets+ restaurant nr PS3 - allergic child

The allergy card idea is great ,thanks both!

10. Re: Food/drink in sprmarkets+ restaurant nr PS3 - allergic child

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2014, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Playa de las Americas
Recent Conversations