We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Supermarket near Parque Santiago (+ more questions!)

newcastle
Level Contributor
64 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Supermarket near Parque Santiago (+ more questions!)

Hello

am staying at PS3 late April/Early May. We will probably eat out most nights, but will have breakfast and maybe lunches at the apartment. I will be doing a 'big shop' at the Mercadona at some point (love Mercadona!) but was wondering about the supermarket near PS3 for the odd few bits and pieces - local bread, cheese, milk, juice, wine, water, fresh fruit, tomatoes ..... how much more would I expect to pay compared with Mercadona - e.g. double or more like 10-20%? I could llive with a small premium for the convenience, but if its WAY more expensive then will give it a miss (apart from maybe fresh bread in the mornings)

Also, is there a taxi rank near Mercadona (and if so, will drivers be annoyed at taking you a relatively short distance?)

And while I am here (!) a few more questions if anyone can help me with :)

* thinking of hiring bikes - is it permitted to cycle on the promenade, e.g. to Los Cris, PDLA etc? I have young kids and don't want to take them on the road

* any recommendations for a good seafood restaurant (i.e. fresh grilled fish, not UK style fish & chips) or tapas restaurant within 15-20 mins walk of PS3? Any other recommendations (esp from locals) of less touristy places much appreciated

*having said that, we arrive lateish on the first night so need to find somewhere in or near PS complex to eat - we eat pretty much anything (!) so Italian, Chinese etc. all ok - anywhere that can be recommended very close by?

*have promised the kids Siam Park - would Saturday be a good day (i.e. less busy) to visit? I heard because of changeovers/new arrivals Fridays and Saturdays are good, but that might be out of date info

Any help/advice much appreciated!

Gracias!

Louise

north west england
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
400 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Supermarket near Parque Santiago (+ more questions!)

Louise

The supermarket opposite PS3 is the "Gran Via". It's pretty decent - I walk down from PS2 to shop there when we can't be bothered with the walk up to the Mercadona. It has a good bakery and patisserie section as well as a meat counter. Decent fruit, veg, cooked meats and the like. Not as good or as cheap as the Mercadona, of course, but not way more expensive. If we need stuff for breakfast or lunch, that's where we'd shop most days.

I can't recall a taxi rank at the Mercadona but, presumably, you could flag one down. I suspect drivers are used to fairly short trips but I'd also be interested in other folks' experiences.

For a fish restaurant, I like the Rincon del Marinero at Los Cristianos - only 15 minutes walk from PS3. Go along Las Vistas beach, you then go through a tunnel under the road and El Rincon is just on the other side. Can thoroughly recommend the "mixed fish" plate. Not sure how its actually described on the menu but you get an enormous plate of whatever fish and seafood they have to hand. Bang-on for freshness! Bargain price as well - I think well under €20. As for your arrival night meal - absolutely loads of places immediiately outside PS3.

John

Edited: 28 January 2014, 13:56
newcastle
Level Contributor
64 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Supermarket near Parque Santiago (+ more questions!)

Thanks for the reply John - sounds like Gran Via will do nicely for bits and bobs in that case. Thanks for the restaurant recommendation, sounds right up my street!

Louise

Buckie Scotland
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Supermarket near Parque Santiago (+ more questions!)

Don't worry about the bicycles no one cycles on road, everyone cycles on pavements and prom.. Plenty for hire even electric powered ones. I thought both supermarkets attached to Sant. 5 and Sant 4 to be expensive. Probably between 10 -20 %..

Buckie Scotland
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Supermarket near Parque Santiago (+ more questions!)

Word of warning don't eat at la trattatore attached to PS 3 it's expensive and dire. There are 2 inexpensive Chinese located in the La Paz strip just along to the right and across the road from PS3.

newcastle
Level Contributor
64 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Supermarket near Parque Santiago (+ more questions!)

Ok thanks for the tips (and warning!)

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Supermarket near Parque Santiago (+ more questions!)

Hi not to sure on the supermarket prices as we also tend to use Mercadona or Iceland, as for a good Restaurant we have been quite a few times to the Chinese Restaurant on what they call the strip, that is were all the bars are, I-e Brahms and List, The Corner Bar, Hole in the Wall etc. It is not to far from PS3. Wherever you end up have a great time, we are there 23rd Feb to the end of March, also staying at PS3.

Porthcawl, United...
Level Contributor
530 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Supermarket near Parque Santiago (+ more questions!)

There is a taxi rank outside Mercadona on the right hand side.

They will have no problem taking you to PS we have done it many times.

newcastle
Level Contributor
64 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Supermarket near Parque Santiago (+ more questions!)

thanks for the advice!

Rickmansworth...
Level Contributor
549 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Supermarket near Parque Santiago (+ more questions!)

Lots of nice resturants on san telmo, the area above las vista beach, sal negra is a good tapas reasonably priced, habibi this is Lebanese, picalo a nice its italian and watermelon. They all have nice views. Enjoy

newcastle
Level Contributor
64 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Supermarket near Parque Santiago (+ more questions!)

Hi thanks for suggestions, San telmo sounds like a good place for restaurants. 4247Cat let me know how you get on! Does anyone know if its possible to rent pool towels at PS or am I better buying cheap ones when I get there?

Also re first night dinner, El Cedro and Montana (more or less on the PS complex it seems?) get pretty decent reviews. Both seem popular - would I need to book for 2 adults, 2 kids 9pm ish late April or will I be ok to show up on spec?

Get answers to your questions about Playa de las Americas