We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A tale of 2 meals

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
A tale of 2 meals

I thought it may be worth posting in case in helped someone,

We're in Las Americas at the moment a (first time in 20 years) and as such have been reading the reviews on where to eat.

We decided on Alison 2 days ago (tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g562820-…) and have got to say it was very good. 9 of us - 3 course set meal - 123 euros in total (including a few drinks each). Nice atmosphere with a girl singing live (not too loud).

Tonight we went to El Cedro but to be honest I was realy dissapointed. 175 euro this time and we only had 2 courses and 1 drink each. We decided we were going to pay for a little extra but it was probably worse. In general the food wasn't great and 1 of the party couldn't eat the Salmon at all and the waitor didn't even ask why (the reason was it was VERY dry).

Just some observations really. We're here for another week so hopefull we'll find some nice restaurants in the next few days (suggestions welcome!)

Edited: 10 April 2014, 23:32
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: A tale of 2 meals

Tonight half the party are off to First Love and I'm still undecided......I'm busily reading the reviews.....dont want to go too far as its still pouring down :(

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: A tale of 2 meals

I think we're going to try the House.

>> With your back to el cedros turn left and walk for 5 mins till you come to the amusement arcade

>> on the corner is the house restaurant very popular and nice.

So basically heading from PS4 you just carry on for 5 mins after El Cedros?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10,972 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: A tale of 2 meals

yes, that's correct,

don't know what the weather is like now, but it's seating outside, so it could be a bit tricky.

Over the road in the safari centre above zaras there is a all u can eat Chinese (can't remember the name).....????wok i think, this is about 12 euros all you can eat, but it has lobster, etc and loads of nice food.

Rickmansworth...
Level Contributor
657 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: A tale of 2 meals

First love imo is ok for lunch- really nice young couple that own it. Been about 4/5 time for lunch, cheap beer, good for people watching, foods ok not amazing.

I reckon its great reviews are based on the concept of young couple falling in love.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: A tale of 2 meals

Its not a night for stting outside!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: A tale of 2 meals

Went to Tai Pan - not sure why but it was pouring down and we just needed to get in somewhere (both the Chineses on the Paz strip were full).

Cost 73 euro for 2

Verdict - VERY poor (probably worse than El Cedro)

Spring Rolls for starters - tasteless

Duck - good (but ducks good everywhere!)

Char Sui for Main (very rich to the point of being unedible)

So far I think we've chosen VERY poorly but in general when I try to compare the food to Turkey ......I can't. The costs in Turkey (Ovacik) are much less and you can pick a restaurant at random and know your going to get an excellent meal.

I will leave some reviews for the places we've visited so far at the end of the holiday.

Ireland, UK
Level Contributor
2,796 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: A tale of 2 meals

I have never been to Turkey so I can't compare but I don't think it's that cheap to eat out in Tenerife ,especially if you are having wine .

There are places where you can eat cheaply but they are more the type of place to eat and go ,not sit over a bottle of wine.

That said 73 euros for two seems expensive unless you had expensive wine or drinks ?

Hope your weather improves and you find some better restaurants.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: A tale of 2 meals

We did have wine but to be honest 73 euro isn't the biggest problem . If we feel we've had a nice meal (and atmosphere) then it wouldn't have been a problem. We went to Portugal last year and enjoyed eating out there as well.

The whole experience of the meal was a bit of a let down. We were met by a women who seemed less than friendly (we did discuss not actually staying but decided against venturing back out :) ) and then I don't think one of the waiters actually smiled or made conversation though the whole evening.

We do like Las Americas, but we just need to improve a little with our choice of restaurants!

Edited: 12 April 2014, 23:36
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10,972 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: A tale of 2 meals

The house is deffo good.

I actually like merlins chinese all I can eat in the shopping centre facing el cedro.

a short taxi ride away is el gomera. As is messon castillo.

when are u home I.ll give u directions to a few more places tomorrow morning.

Edited: 12 April 2014, 23:47
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
917 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: A tale of 2 meals

I'm surprised at the poor reviews of El Cedro because I don't think we've ever had a bad meal there whatever the time of day. Perhaps we've been lucky but we've been going there for years over two months in the winter.

We really didn't like Merlins chinese when we tried it so have continued to go to the one (Rong Cheng?) just towards the bottom of the road that Shenanigans is on. We think it's much better than Merlins and excellent value with a good variety of both savoury stuff and desserts.

Get answers to your questions about Playa de las Americas