We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A tale of 2 meals

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
A tale of 2 meals

I thought it may be worth posting in case in helped someone,

We're in Las Americas at the moment a (first time in 20 years) and as such have been reading the reviews on where to eat.

We decided on Alison 2 days ago (tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g562820-…) and have got to say it was very good. 9 of us - 3 course set meal - 123 euros in total (including a few drinks each). Nice atmosphere with a girl singing live (not too loud).

Tonight we went to El Cedro but to be honest I was realy dissapointed. 175 euro this time and we only had 2 courses and 1 drink each. We decided we were going to pay for a little extra but it was probably worse. In general the food wasn't great and 1 of the party couldn't eat the Salmon at all and the waitor didn't even ask why (the reason was it was VERY dry).

Just some observations really. We're here for another week so hopefull we'll find some nice restaurants in the next few days (suggestions welcome!)

Edited: 10 April 2014, 23:32
Rickmansworth...
Level Contributor
549 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: A tale of 2 meals

If i were you i would deffo try san telmo, great resturants ,great views - sal negra tapas fish etc - habbibi Lebanese - watermelon we had lovely meat skewers, Slow boat chineese always gets good reviews but we haven't tried it.

My favourite eating places good value, good guality, good views you feel like you've been somewhere special

Ireland, UK
Level Contributor
2,542 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: A tale of 2 meals

I think the Las Americas area especially near the fountains is expensive. Even a coffee is a rip off.

There is a great Chinese ,again in the area of Locandos called Overseas.

I think maybe if you venture a bit further away you might have more luck!

newcastle
Level Contributor
64 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: A tale of 2 meals

Look forward to hearing the rest of your reviews as we plan for our hols next week.

These are the places I am planning to visit - any feedback (+ or -) welcome

Meson Castellana and Fresquera (near Mercadona)

El Cine – in los chrisianos

Olivers with a twist – already booked for Friday 25th

A number of places in San Telmo - habibi, watermelon etc.

Would like to have Chinese/Thai/Japanese once or twice - Thai botanica and khong tsha seem well reviewed

Has anyone been to Deep Blue? It gets pretty good reviews though maybe better for lunch?

Anyone recommend a good place to get fresh grilled fish - sardines if possible, but any fish will do if its char grilled and fresh?

Thanks!

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,206 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: A tale of 2 meals

You could try the new Kaluna Beach Club, overlooking Puerto Colon, - not eaten there yet but the food looks good https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphot… https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-… and the setting is breath-taking https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphot…

All your above are good choices except for one IMO, I really don´t like El Cine, think people go because of the hype and whilst the seafood is fresh the rest leave a lot to be desired.

http://redqueenmusings.wordpress.com/

north west england
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
400 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: A tale of 2 meals

Can thoroughly recommend Meson Castellano and Fresquera. Also in the same immediate area, we had very good meals at Cuevita del Mar (opposite side of road to Castellano) and La Kocina (a couple of minutes further up the road from Castellano). Cuevita del Mar may well be your place for fish - we had a really good mixed seafood platter for only €17.50 per person - an absolute bargain!

I'm not a fan of Habibi. We went once and the food was just odd. It might advertise itself as Lebanese and the menu might read as though they are Lebanese dishes but the flavourings and spicings were anything but Lebanese. Falafels tasted of curry powder. Shish taouk caem with Indonesian style peanut sauce. Not a pleasant experience. By the by, there's far better Lebanese food at Balconen - opposite the Columbus.

I'm sort of with Aguilas about El Cine. More basic cafe than restaurant. OK for lunch but not for a "nice" meal.

Rickmansworth...
Level Contributor
549 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: A tale of 2 meals

Sal negra do a mixed fish platter and theres always different fish - catch of the day

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10,240 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: A tale of 2 meals

@harters, totally agree with those restaurants up in that area.

we ate at one but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it, as you walk down the road from the marola you come to the bend to take to the supermarket, just as you turn this bend the restaurant is there,

it's got quite a bit of greenery outside and it has dark wood tables and chairs inside, I can't remember what it's called, but we ate there twice it was lovely.

hubby had the best suckling of pig at meson castellano,

newcastle
Level Contributor
64 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: A tale of 2 meals

Julimac sal negra is going straight on my list - sounds lovely and the reviews are great. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to walk to San Telmo from PS3 (with kids, so at a relatively leisurely pace!)

Harters it sounds like we have pretty similar tastes so am taking your recommendations and warnings to heart! Don't suppose you can recommend somewhere nice within a few mins walk of PS for our first night? Not too fussy as we will be tired so just want somewhere reliable and not too pricey. Will save the good places for nights we can make the most of them.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,206 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: A tale of 2 meals

If you walk to the Vista Sur shopping centre, about 5-6 mins from where you are staying there is Amina, which although I have only ever had coffee or pancakes there I have friends who eat there regularly and swear it is excellent value. The reviews look ok too tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g562820-…

http://redqueenmusings.wordpress.com/

newcastle
Level Contributor
64 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: A tale of 2 meals

Thanks Aguilas, sounds like a contender!

Get answers to your questions about Playa de las Americas