We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sterling Travellers Cheques ??

Leeds
Level Contributor
174 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Sterling Travellers Cheques ??

Just rung Bank to order our Traveller Cheques as we have done every year and been told they advise against using them as not many exchange bureau's are now accepting them just wondered if anyone else has heard this and if anyone has had any problems thought they would be safer than taking all cash ( too late to order travel card now ) ?

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,191 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sterling Travellers Cheques ??

Travellers cheques are becoming less and less popular and I think they will become as extinct as the dodo before long.

There are not so many places that accept them nowadays.

Try to get a travel card if possible ;

The caxton card may take a few days to come but a visit to Thomas cook travel agent might be the answer.

Graham

uk
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sterling Travellers Cheques ??

Yeah. Not many folk using travellers cheques these days. Prepaid cards are quite reliable. As reliable as your debit card. Caxtonfx and fairfx are the two best rated on the market at the mo. Ive used fairfx since 2009 and have never had a complaint.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,421 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sterling Travellers Cheques ??

We've not used them for over 15 years. We get some currency exchanged when we arrive and stick large purchases on a credit card that does not charge.

Chester
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sterling Travellers Cheques ??

HI,

we took travellers cheques about 3 years ago and nobody would touch them. So in the hotel we charged everything to the room and paid by Visa on departure. Thomas Cook pre-loaded card is ok if you can get it through in time. We are off to Crete next week and we will use our HSBC debit card to with draw euros, they have put what dates we are there so the card does not get blocked.

Hope this helps,

Keith.

Leeds
Level Contributor
174 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sterling Travellers Cheques ??

Thank you for your responses so how do these cards work is there a charge for withdrawing at ATM are they easy to top up while away if needed ?

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,191 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sterling Travellers Cheques ??

I can only speak about the Caxton fx euro card as it is the one I have used in many countries over several years.

They give a good exchange rate when you load them from your account.

You can load on line or by phone from your nominated account using your debit card.. You can also arrange to load the card by text message.

There are NO charges for withdrawing euros from ATMs or paying bills in restaurants , hotels , shops etc.

The only downside is a minimum load of 150 euros.

I wouldn`t be without mine,

Graham

Paisley, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sterling Travellers Cheques ??

Hiya. I'm just back from pdla and there's a bureau that changed our sterling travellers cheques no problem. It's down past the best tenerife hotel to your left- the place was called Dennis but I believe the guy is now called Ian. Also cheap for your trips.

Hope this helps

Jackie

Paisley, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sterling Travellers Cheques ??

Hiya. I'm just back from pdla and there's a bureau that changed our sterling travellers cheques no problem. It's down past the best tenerife hotel to your left- the place was called Dennis but I believe the guy is now called Ian. Also cheap for your trips.

Hope this helps

Jackie

Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
350 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sterling Travellers Cheques ??

We exchanged our travellers cheques last Oct at Admiral travel at San Eugenio & also at a little exchange shop near La Vista beach under Compostella Beach.

uk
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sterling Travellers Cheques ??

Bjkcl the prepaid cards are exactly the same as a debit card in how you use them. Caxtonfx has no charges for withdrawals, but you have to load more onto the card. Fairfx charges 1.50e per withdrawal from atms irrelevant of the amount, but theres no charge if you pay using your card. So ideally you withdraw larger amounts from the atm, not just 20e every now and then. Fairfx has the best exchange rate in comparison to caxtonfx, but its only a difference of a few euros so its hardly a decision maker.

I choose fairfx because I prefer to be able to load lesser amounts at a time on my card.

You can access your account information online and transfer cash from your bank etc.

They are the future so you might as well make that move.

Just remember. ..the same as a debit card.

Get answers to your questions about Playa de las Americas