We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good family-oriented place to stay in New Braunfels

Plano, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Good family-oriented place to stay in New Braunfels

I'm in charge of puttting together a big extended family trip to New Braunfels next summer. Can anyone recommend a good family-oriented place to stay? I would prefer something different than a hotel.

Also, we will have several young kids with us and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where to take them other than Schlitterbahn? How about restaurants? Any favorites out there?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

DFW
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Good family-oriented place to stay in New Braunfels

It's been a few years, but for our extended family trips to NB, we always stayed at River Road Camp. Last year, I stayed at the Rockin R, and enjoyed it. It was in Sept 2005, and the campground was 90% empty, so that was nice & quiet. For food, you've got to try the NB Smokehouse for good cooking. If any adults want a great meal, try the Huisache Grill. Landa Park is a lot of fun for the family.

Lubbock, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Good family-oriented place to stay in New Braunfels

If you are interested in an alternative to a hotel, you could try one of the many vacation condos or houses up for rent. My family goes to New Braunfels every year and this summer, we stayed in a new condo at Waterwheel Resort Condominiums. The complex is located right on the Guadalupe River. They have a really nice pool, a couple of hot tubs, lots of picnic tables and grills with beautiful, huge trees all around the property. We shared a 3 bedroom, 2 bath unit with my sister's family. We stayed a unit in Buiding E and it was so cute! I'm very picky about accommodations and this place was one of the nicest vacation condos we've ever stayed in. We especially liked all the fun regional art on the walls. It was so clean and comfortable. There was lots of room for the kids to play and move around. We enjoyed having breakfast on the balcony which overlooked the pool and the tree-filled lawn. We made coffee every morning and ate pastries from Naeglin's Bakery on Seguin St. It was so relaxing. I would recommend eating at the Huisache Grill in downtown New Braunfels. Their food is excellent! As an alternative to Schlitterbahn, we take our kids to Landa park. You can pack a picnic lunch, swim, take a train ride, feed the ducks, and play on the playground. There's just always so much to do in NB. It's always a fun trip!

Bridge City, Texas
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Good family-oriented place to stay in New Braunfels

For some family fun you might try San Marcos it's only 20 miutes from NB. Aquamarina, tubing, & Wonderland cave. Me and my family always has fun in both cities. There vistor's web site is

www.sanmarcos.com/tourism/default.htm

Austin
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Good family-oriented place to stay in New Braunfels

My family and I LOVED the Hideout on the Horseshoe n New Braunfels. The place is brand new and VERY clean. (riveraccess)

They have a website you can visit:

www.stayandfloat.com

Austin
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Good family-oriented place to stay in New Braunfels

My family and I LOVED the Hideout on the Horseshoe n New Braunfels. The place is brand new and VERY clean. (riveraccess)

They have a website you can visit:

www.stayandfloat.com

Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good family-oriented place to stay in New Braunfels

Hello ,

Hideout on the horseshoe is a great family place it is close to everything and is new . The cabins are beautiful the river is right there to float on ,they have a playground for the kids as well as other activities. It is fairly reasonable room rates and it it kept very clean.

We hope this helps. Enjoy

Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good family-oriented place to stay in New Braunfels

Hello ,

Hideout on the horseshoe is a great family place it is close to everything and is new . The cabins are beautiful the river is right there to float on ,they have a playground for the kids as well as other activities. It is fairly reasonable room rates and it it kept very clean.

We hope this helps. Enjoy

Lake Jackson, TX
Level Contributor
65 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good family-oriented place to stay in New Braunfels

I've been taking my kids to this area for many years, they feel a summer without Schlitterbahn is cruel... I have stayed within the park booking thru Shclitterbahn itself and while the accomodations can be rather expensive, it's close and affords you the luxury of everyone doing their own thing and being close. There is a shuttle that runs nonstop around the park so you never need a car inside the area.. the shuttle will take you to and from your cabin.. .. parents can let their kids run as it's very, very safe. If you have never been, it's awesome even for adults.. My aging parents have donned suits and gone down a few slides.. You can also take in cokes and food as they have no restrictions on picnics within the waterpark... New Braunfels is a tourist town so there is no end to activities.. the food is great most places. There are many condo rentals up and down the Comal RIver.. which feeds the water park.. if you rent in this area, you can tub with no fees in the Spring fed Comal.... Another option is a cabin on the Guadalupe River.. which runs at the edge of town and thru some areas... This river varies in depth, depending on rainfall.. it can be very dangerous or you can scrap bottom in an innertube.. I have never let my kids run this river alone. THere are numurous tubing outfits along the river.. White Water is probably the oldest and most well known... you can have a guided trip down in a raft.. i have done this for my teen boys and they loved it.. Another area that is awesome is the tiny Gruene area.. it's at the edge of NB and is a wonderful family outting for the day.. The Gristmill Restuarant is something you must go to.. the food is wonderful, inexpensive, and the ambiance is awesome.. It sits on a ledge above the Guadelupe and is in fact and old mill.. .. you will not be sorry. They have a web site if you go to Gruene Texas web... Next door to the Gristmill is the Gruene Dance Hall.. oldest operatiing in Texas.. it is a family type set up and there is free live entertainment during the days.. On summer week nights and weekends, you might find some famous people playing there.... George Strait got his start there.. There are no walls as there is chicken wire on it's sides, you can actually sit in the grass outside the restuarant and listen along with all the others doing the same thing... the little town is full of shops open during the day.. it's very pretty and easily walked by all ages.. An alternative to staying in New Braufels might be the Gruene Mansion Inn.. not a hotel type at all, a B and B with many cabins along the water.. the breakfast tthere is included and is awesome.. My husband and i go yearly.. San Antonio is very close to this area and you can make the drive in less than an hour.. if you have not been to the Riverwalk there, it's a must.. San Marcos is just up the road from NB and has a large outlet mall right on I35.. for those who want a day shopping.. I don't know where you live, but this area is just full of things to do.. like i said, we've been doing it once a summer for many, many years... have fun.. dh

austin
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good family-oriented place to stay in New Braunfels

The Other Place resort is great. It's across from the Schlitterbahn, you can also get in the river on one side of the complex and float around the bend and get out on the other side of the complex. There's a playground in the middle of the complex along with picnic tables and bbq pits. All rooms have a balcony that face the river. Nothing snazzy, but very comfortable and definately convenient. Landa park is fun for kids and they have all types of floating tubes. Definately check out Gruene for some good grub. It's only 10 minutes from downtown New Braunfels. Gristmill is great, but so is Gruene River Grill. The oldest dance hall in Texas, Gruene Hall, is worth going in to even with the kids. During the summer, you see all ages having fun on the dance floor.

snow bird in Texas
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Good family-oriented place to stay in New Braunfels

Not to far away is Six Flags, Sea World, The River Walk, The Caves, The Alamo.