We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Lovefield Airport to Palestine

Which Palestine hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
KY
5 posts
Save Topic
Traveling from Lovefield Airport to Palestine

We will be traveling from Dallas Lovefield to Palestine, Tx for a wedding. We have never been in this area. Please tell us. Best scenic route n suggestions for sightseeing n lunch on the way!

3 replies to this topic
Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,590 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from Lovefield Airport to Palestine

First of all, you're only talking about roughly a two-hour drive no matter which route you take.

There are essentially three routes to take--(1) I-45 south to Corsicana, then southeast on US 287 into Palestine; (2) I-20 East to Canton (antiques capitol of Texas), then south on Hwy 19 into Palestine; or (3) US 175 southeast of of Dallas through Kaufman (where the D.A. and his wife were just murdered), and into Athens, then south into Palestine. I'd imagine that #3 would be the most scenic, since it's not an interstate highway, but I've never taken the highway so I can't say unequivocally. Athens is a fairly decent-sized town, so there must be some decent places to eat there but no specific recommendations from me, as I've never eaten there.

You might check out Canton if that type thing is of interest, as I vaguely recall it's only open on weekends or maybe only one weekend per month.

Good luck--sorry I can't be more specific.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from Lovefield Airport to Palestine

Gene T is referring to First Monday in Canton. It is a large trade day with crafts and much more that occurs the weekend before the first monday of the month. http://firstmondaycanton.com/

In Canton, Juanita's Restaurant has good Tex-Mex. The Dairy Palace is a simple place with good burgers and hand-dipped Blue Bell ice cream.

http://juanitas.net/

http://dairypalace.com/

In Athens, there is the Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center. The aquaria and exhibits are interesting to both adults and children. tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/visitorcenters/tffc/

The only place I have ever eaten at in Athens is the Lake Athens Marina Restaurant years ago. I remember it having good catfish with a view of the lake. http://www.lakeathensmarina.com/

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,849 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from Lovefield Airport to Palestine

I used to work in Palestine so I am partial to the 287 from Corsicana route.

There are quite a few chain places (Denny's, Applebee's, Chili's, Whataburger, Subway, Taco Bell) just as you turn off of I-45 onto 287E- but you can eat at those kind of places anywhere.

Eureka is located 10 miles east on 287- there is a little gas station called The Aggie Store- very good hamburgers there (and the only place to buy beer or wine between Corsicana and Palestine).

About 18 miles east of Corsicana, you will cross over Richland Chambers Reservoir (look to the left and wave- that's where I live!). Right before you cross the bridge, there is a little grille, motel and marina- Oak Cove- that has simple but good food and the Shell station across the road also has a good grill. You could turn off at spur 294 (on the right before you get to Oak Cove) and follow it over to Harbor Inn, more of a restaurant/bar with a view of the lake and a marina.

As you head toward Palestine, the scenery is pretty but there aren't many places to stop. In fact, the only other places to stop, once you cross the bridge, are a couple of gas stations. Both are in Cayuga- the one by the high school has a little store and grill.

If you are coming this month, the wildflowers are looking great this year. The drive out 287 shows quite a variety.

Reply to: Traveling from Lovefield Airport to Palestine
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Palestine