We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port A vs Galveston

San Antonio
Level Contributor
95 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Port A vs Galveston

Help! We live in SA and have family visiting over Spring Break 2010....they want to experience the beach. We both have young elementary age kids. Do we stay at Port A (been there several times--know the town and feel like it is a good family destination). Or do we take them to Galveston where we can get a place right on the beach??? Immediate beach access is very attractive--picture ourselves sitting on deck while kids play on the beach. Or will it be so crazy in Galveston that it won't be possible? I've heard their beaches aren't as nice. Opinions appreciated...

Mentioned in this post
Galveston
Galveston
Galveston Island, TX
Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
6,383 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port A vs Galveston

We stay as far away from the beaches as possible during Spring Break. Mustang Island and Port Aransas will be wall to wall college and high school kids and more than a few will have had way too much to drink. I wouldn't take elementary age kids anywhere near the area during Spring Break. You will have all the local accommodations filled with partying students who will be up most of the night as well. If you just want a beach experience go to the Padre Island National Seashore. It is a National Park which requires the purchase of a permit to enter so most of the Spring Breakers avoid it. Malaquite Beach is very nice and should be much less crowded than North Padre and Port Aransas.

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port A vs Galveston

Definitely Port A. The beach and water is nicer in Port A.

Clayton
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Port A vs Galveston

There are many places on the beach or right behind the dune with walk to the beach but still with views of the beach. Check out La Mirage, Mustang Towers, Gulf Shores, The Dumes as these all are on the beach. They get a premium for their location versus further away from the beach.

Mentioned in this post
Mustang Towers
Mustang Towers
62 Reviews
Port Aransas, TX
Diamond Bar...
Level Contributor
783 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port A vs Galveston

I love my visits to the Texas gulf coast. I am fond of Galveston but Port A, Mustang Island and Padre Island National Park are my favorite beach destinations!

Mentioned in this post
Galveston
Galveston
Galveston Island, TX
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Port A vs Galveston

Haven't been during spring break, so take Gehrig, our DE for that area post in mind, but Port Aransas is our favorite place for a beach stay. IN addition to the other already mentioned locations maybe also check Sandcastle Condo's.

Tet

San Antonio
Level Contributor
95 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Port A vs Galveston

Thank you all for your opinions! I'm going to highly recommend Port Aransas to my sis-in-law! We'll take our chances with the spring breakers....stay M-F, get our beach spot early, and keep an eagle eye on our kiddos. Happy 2010! Sincerely, Missy

se kansas
Level Contributor
128 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Port A vs Galveston

We have been going to Port A during Spring Break for the last 9 years. My parents are winter Texans and stay at Casa on the Beach. We have 3 children that are now 9, 13, and 16. My brother has 3 kids that are now 12, 17, and 20. We have never had any problems with drunken spring breakers. Casa doesn't rent to college age kids and the "parties" are always down the beach closer to town. We still spend some days in town and still go out to dinner (all 14 of us) and we've never had problems. I would suggest just staying at a condo or house further from town to be far enough away from the crowds.

8. Re: Port A vs Galveston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Port Aransas
Recent Conversations