We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions needed please...

Copperas Cove, Texas
Level Contributor
1,568 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions needed please...

Looking to take my family to Port A in July, 2 kiddos one hubby, have never been there so i will dump all questions here and hope for tons of answers..lol

Is Port A close to Corpus Christi? I want a clean place and safe to lay our heads, not too far from the beach but do not want to pay the outrageous prices i am finding, maybe i am searching the wrong thing..What all is there to do in Port A? Is there an aquarium?

thanks in advance..Looking to go in July..

bella

Houston,Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions needed please...

Well i can say you are making a good choice in going to Port A, me and my family went for our first time last year, and it was awesome, we plan on going again this year, maybe end of May, but last year we did go in July as you are planning, and it was great.

Now for the questions, yes it is pretty close to Corpus, not exactly sure the milage, but my sisters went for the day and they made it back home in about 30 minutes. As for things to do, i have to be honest and say it's a small town, and as far as attractions, there aren't any really, there is no aquarium, and no water park or theme park, but, that does't mean it is isn't fun, there is plenty of beach, and lots of shells to collect, they have quite a few souvenir shops that we spent a good day checking out, they have some great fishing piers if you like to fish, and quite a few really good places to eat. Trust me we spent 5 days there, and it went by way to fast so it may sound like there isn't much to do, but there is enough and we saw alot of families down there, so it is a very family friendly town.

The lodging can be pricey, but not everywhere, but we stayed at The Dunes Condos and it was, but, you get what you pay for, and it was well worth the price, my father paid for the condo, and i suggested maybe we stay somewhere else this year to save some money, and he flat out said he didn't care about the price, it was worth it, and it is, you are on the beach, right by the pier, which we walked to and every condo has a view of the gulf, and i mean a view that is spectacular, i wrote a review for it and posted some pics if you want to check it out. Now there are other places to stay that look like they are pretty fantastic as well,like The Sandcastle, A Laughing Horse Lodge, Sea Gull Condos & Mayan Princess to name a few, and they seem to be very popular, plus there are some hotels in town as well, i would suggest checking the reviews for the lodging section and see what you think.

Austin
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions needed please...

Hi!! I agree, Port Aransas is an awesome place. July is a great time of year, too.

Yes, Port A is only a short drive from Corpus. And while there isn't an aquarium in PA, there's a great kid-friendly one in Corpus that's definitely worth a visit for your kids - they'd love it! Also Corpus has a neat history museum of some sort that we've visited a while back, which is also a hit with the kids.

About places to stay - have you looked into the Best Western right in town in PA? It's not right on the beach but it's a really nice place - we've stayed there a few times and liked it a lot. Only a short, short walk to the beach, and the rates aren't too ridiculous. We stay at Port Royal sometimes too, but it's pretty pricey, especially in the summer. You might also want to look into the Holiday Inn Sunspree, which is farther down the south side of the island. It's a very nice place with better summer rates than the places closer to town! Only problem with that one is the drive into PA - short, but not right in town either.

One tip though - buy all your breakfast/lunch foods as well as sandcastle tools, water toys, boogie boards, etc, before you come. Things like that are way overpriced on the island, and stuff like that can add up and make the trip quite an expensive one!

Hope that helped! Enjoy your trip!

Durant, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
27 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions needed please...

We went to Corpus about 6 years ago and really didn't like it and when it came time to vacation the next year we chose Port A and have been going back every year since then. For the last 5 years we've been staying at Coral Cay - we love the staff and the units have all been very nice. We've stayed in everything from a studio to the three bedroom condo as our family has grown. Unfortunately we have outgrown their three bedroom and now need a four bedroom unit or we would be staying with them this year as well.

Port A is completely safe and they do have lots to do. Depending upon the ages of your kids we always like to go to the jetty and see the fishermen and just walk out on them as far as we can. There is one little bitty museum that takes about 10 minutes to go through and it is free but is now tradition for us to go see. :)

For the first few years we would arrive and go to the local IGA grocery store and stock up on groceries for meals that we wouldn't be eating out, but we discovered there's an HEB in Aransas Pass that's worth going to as it's just a few more minutes drive and the prices make the drive worth it. Although the IGA does have a good selection for a small grocery store.

There's never a problem getting back into Corpus and as DharmaGuy said it's only about a 30 minute drive but we rarely go to Corpus once we get to Port A.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions needed please...

Here's another fan for Port Aransas. We stayed twice on our USA trips and enjoyed. We stayed Mayan Princess and Sandcastle. Both are great but Sandcastle is a lot closer to town. Mayan Princess is some 10 miles south of PA. It's a pretty, bit old fashioned, beach town. You can buy fresh fish and there's a fish market in Aransas Pass across from the road at HEB but as Rebekah has said, you'll find most things at the IGA. Even a beachumbrella!

Tet

Edited: 31 March 2010, 13:45
Amarillo
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions needed please...

Port A is a yearly trip for us and we always stay in #7 at The Laughing Horse Lodge. They are under new management this year, but they are as wonderful as Sandy and Lloyd were. I highly recomend it. Its nice to come home to your own house and rinse all the sand off outside. Your room will have everything you need in it and if it doesnt they will get it at your request. Our first year we went we made the drive to Corpus(about 30 min) to see the aquarium and the USS Lexington. They were well worth the trip for the kids. My kids loved being able to touch the stingrays at the aquarium. Since then we have not made it out of Port A to go back. We love to fish off the docks and the jetties. If you like to fish, bring your poles from home along with all your beach toys or you will pay dearly for them on the island. The only way to describe Port A is a quaint little fishing town we love to relax in. Just dont expect beautiful beaches, you are not going to be in the Bahammas. However this is my favorite place to go in the U.S. Friendly people!!!!! Eat at Mobey Dicks. And dont miss the biggest hole in the wall in Port A. Thaiphoon is the best asian food i have ever eaten. If you look at the outside of the building you will never go in because you will be terrified. Take the risk, nicest people on the island with the freshest food. if you like sushi you will be in heaven. they have other wonderful food also. Just dont be scared like we were. it took us 3 years to finally walk in the door. Just go and have a blast.

Blum, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions needed please...

Well my family has been going to port A for 7 years now. It is a awesome beach town and you will have a blast. One thing I might suggest if you are really pressed for money, is to stay in Aransas Pass. It's across the ferry from Port A about 7 miles. What makes it neat is in between Port A and Aransas Pass is the inlet bays and shallow water areas. Lots of fisherman fishing and crabbing, a great place for kids to explore and see sea life.We stay at a mom and pop motel called Sea Breeze in Aransas Pass. They are actually little cabins with full kitchens and dining area with lots of beds or you can rent a smaller motel room with just a couple beds,but still full kitchens. They are very very well priced and are decorated so cute, and are clean clean.The owner has done a great job making it look like a cute coastal bungaloo. When you arrive the owner leaves a full fishing report and weather guide in your room with a basket full of lots of towells and fresh coffee. Right across the street from the cabins/motel is a huge aquatic park for the kiddos, with lots of water rides and slides. The thing that makes this hotel great is it's close enough to Port A to do all the fun stuff and close to beach, but just far enough away from port A (7 miles) to be priced much better.You have to ride the ferry to get back to Aransas Pass and that makes it fun for the kids because they will see lots of dolphins. As far as Port A having any amusement, you won't need any amusement park or attraction when your there. You will see that the island has a AWESOME feel to it and just makes you relaxed and happy to be there. The kids will love the beach, building a sand castle & collecting shells, the fishing is the best in Port A (better than anywhere up and down the coast), you can take a beach buggy 4 wheel drive up and down the beach, walk around town and enjoy the shops, take a ride down mustang island and back ( you might see a Kemp Riley Sea turtle coming up on the beach to lay her eggs in the dunes, june and july are the months they lay eggs) I promise there will not be a minute that you, the hubby or the kids are bored. Yes you do need to buy your boogie boards, snoorkles, rafts and especially your sand castle kit back home ( great sand for sand castles)Also buy your grocerys at HEB in Aransas pass.If your wondering what we pay at the sea breeze cabins/motel in Aransas Pass,we just booked a room for July and for two full size beds and two twin beds with a full kitchen it was $ 75.00 a night, but when you book for at least 4 nights they make it only $65.00 a night and that INCLUDES tax. Try to find a place in Port A that cheap and that clean and cool, you won't. Have fun and don't worry you and your family will defiantly be bitten by the Port A bug. I hope I have been a little help to you.

7. Re: Suggestions needed please...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2010, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Port Aransas
Recent Conversations