We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking distance to restaurants etc

Which Port Aransas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Appleton, Wisconsin
1 post
Save Topic
walking distance to restaurants etc

Would like to find a place to stay (condo?) that is in the town of Aransas where we can walk to restaurants and other local establishments and sights. Looking at a two month stay; January and February 2012. Balcony or deck with a water view would be nice. Anyone have any suggestions?

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,225 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: walking distance to restaurants etc

There is no DE for Port Aransas so you may get a better response posting this on the Texas Forum. I can tell you most of the long term rentals with beach access are along the island and not walking distance to restaurants. The Dunes is located in Port Aransas along the beach and you could walk to restaurants from there. Most visitors bring a golf cart or have their own transportation because of the distances. Hopefully you can get more specific help from folks that are more familiar with Port A.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
506 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: walking distance to restaurants etc

check out island retreat its walking distance to kodys which is a cool fast food style bar and also from the beach check out beach lodge nice little resturant bar on the beach great food cheap prices

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
149 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: walking distance to restaurants etc

I recommend that you pick a place that is on the trolley route (costs about 25 cents to ride) and will take you all over town. The route generally "ends" at Beach Acces 1A.....condos past that you would need a car (mustang towers, sandpiper/seagull; mayan princ; port royal; mirage)

...... the other thing you might consider if you do not have a car is to rent a golf cart. People ride them all over the town but again, cant drive past Beach Access 1A....Winters are generally nice there too. Lots of places rent golf carts now.

I think the Tarpon Inn has one room that has a kitchen. It is in the heart of old town and you can walk everywhere (but the beach is a good walk) or take the trolley (stops right in front). The porch is nice, but it is not a beach view, you can see a bit of the ship channel....Other choice right in town might be Clines Landing which has views of the ship channel - you would still have to walk to the beach.

other condos right on the beach: Dunes; Sandcastle/ Aransas Princess/ Executive Keys....all different price ranges so will depend on what is important. Lots of "winter texans" stay here during winter months, so be sure to not wait too long to book! enjoy!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: walking distance to restaurants etc

My husband and I will be staying at Island Retreat this weekend. We have not stayed there before, or even been to Port A in years. Do you know if it is in walking distance to the trolley stop and does the trolley run in the evenings?

thanks!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
149 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: walking distance to restaurants etc

You can google the route...if Island Retreat is on Access 1a, then yes... they are usually pretty easy to flag down anywhere too, as they are not crowded. they stop at some point around 6pm I think, again, you can probably find out thru port a commerce website, or even call the Island Retreat people. the route and map is in the local visitor guide, which is Free and can pick up at any convenience store on the island. I would highly recommened renting a golf cart for 24hours, it is a super fun way to get around the island and drive down the beach to see everything! or if you are up to it, rent bicycles. there is an awesome path at charlies pasture to bike!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: walking distance to restaurants etc

Thanks for the info! :)

7. Re: walking distance to restaurants etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Port Aransas
Recent Conversations