We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wish I saw this forum before I booked

Kyle, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Wish I saw this forum before I booked

Lost Colony # 20 Review

This place is a dump and that’s putting it politely. I understand it’s an older place so some wear and tear along w/ some corrosion is normal. However if I had to guess this place has been neglected since it was built 20 – 30 years ago. In the case where repairs and maintenance have been attempted it was completed with what appears to be bubble gum and duct tape. It should be a crime to charge this much for a rental in this condition. We paid over $500 a night for three nights and feel like we were just raped (prison style). It really surprised me that this unit got such good reviews. The only conclusion I can come to is that the previous renters where either drunk or high during their stay.

The vinyl repair job in the kitchen is 2 different types and looks like a blind man did it. The transition piece from the living room carpet has screws protruding from it making it a great way to lacerate your feet. All of the showers were built for hobbits since they are all very small and have low hanging showers heads. Additionally they all have doors that do not lock shut causing water to run out and rot the wood trim on the floor. The towel racks are for decoration only since placing any weight on them causes them to crash to the floor. The homes furniture is thrift store at best with the exception of the dining room table and the couch has a rip in it.

The carpet is disgusting and stained throughout. So bad in fact your feet will turn black if you walk around barefoot. My wife opted for wearing flip flops while in the house. There was a box spring in one of the rooms that looked like it was found on the side of the road. You’d think they would have at least put a bed skirt on it to cover it up but I guess that would involve some effort. Both rooms with bunk beds have ceiling fans that hang too low. When getting in and out of the top bunk you have to be careful not to decapitate yourself. Normally I would have just turned the fans off but you have to have them on full blast because the A/C unit for the house is totally inefficient.

The downstairs room (converted garage) smells like old people and is completely impractical for children since it is right by the front door and completely removed from the rest of the house. Speaking of doors most of them stick and opening/locking the front will take some effort (especially at night because the front porch light doesn’t work) along with some skin off your knuckles. The doors sticking could be contributed to the house not being level because one side has shifted. The back porch has deteriorating wood and is unsafe for small children. The gate does not lock and is hard to open. There also appears to be rot in the floors of the house because you hit soft sponging parts while walking around.

If after reading this you still decide to rent this place bring a small car. There is almost no driveway which limits parking to smaller vehicles. Larger trucks and SUVs will be forced to park in the lot down the hill. The proximity to the pool and the beach was nice. However the part of the beach that the Lost Colony is on is narrow making it unsafe for kids because it is close to the beach road. If I had to sum up our visit as a movie it would be Summer Rental w/ John Candy without winning the Regatta.

All of that being said there was one upside. The view was pretty awesome. Unfortunately not awesome enough to make up for the rest. My advice would be to save your money and stay somewhere else.

Edited: 11 July 2011, 14:58
Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,968 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wish I saw this forum before I booked

To alert others of your opinion you should move this from the forums to the Reviews:

tripadvisor.com/VacationRentals-g56476-Revie…

Waco, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wish I saw this forum before I booked

My family stayed at #20 Island Retreat 2 summers ago. Obviously they have not done any needed repairs. I posted a review, like you, cataloging the many problems. Big shock, my review has disappeared leaving only happy reviews.Yours was the only negative one there. There used to be more but they are all gone. This unit should not be rented in its current condition. It verges on uninhabitable.

3. Re: Wish I saw this forum before I booked

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2013, 10:26
Get answers to your questions about Port Aransas
Recent Conversations