We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

woodman circle home in sherman,tx

Fort Worth, Texas...
1 post
Save Topic
woodman circle home in sherman,tx

Can anyone tell me who owns the woodman circle home in Sherman, TX?

4 replies to this topic
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: woodman circle home in sherman,tx

1927 - The Supreme Woodmen's Circle acquired land in Sherman, guided by early president Dora Alexander Talley.

1928 - Ground was broken on November 14th, and construction began.

1930 - The administration building was dedicated, and the home was opened with a handful of young residents, including Lee & Edith Carmichael and Edwin, Sadie, Robert & Lillian Puliam.

1931-1935 - More orphans moved into the home. By 1935, there were 50 children living there.

1948 - The number of children living in the home fell to 4. Only 8 more children were taken in from 1948 onward.

1965 - Only two children, Brandon and Sharon Moe, remained at the home. The founding organization merged into the Woodmen of the World insurance company.

1966 - The last new resident was accepted in July, 1966.

1971 - The Woodmen's Circle Home closed, having sheltered more than 100 children, and 165 elderly. The home was purchased by a group of five attorneys.

1977 - 1980 - The property was leased by Dr. Ariel Sherman and New Life Tabernacle.

1990 - The remaining property was purchased by the current owners, David and Debbie McNees of the Resolution Trust Corporation.

1990s - A series of fires on the property cause many of the wood supports for roofs and upper floors to deteriorate.

Keller, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: woodman circle home in sherman,tx

David McNees

Shawnee, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: woodman circle home in sherman,tx

I can't tell you who owns it. I can tell you that it WAS NOT AN ORPHANAGE!!! How do I know that?

because I grew up there and I WAS NOT AN ORPHAN.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
16,720 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: woodman circle home in sherman,tx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddq_E9jc4xA

Reply to: woodman circle home in sherman,tx
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sherman