We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safest area for swimming spi or corpus christi

Which South Padre Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
wichita, KS
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
safest area for swimming spi or corpus christi

any knowledge on undertows jelly fish etc would be appreciated. we will be traveling the last week of june with 12, 10 and 3 year old.

Arlington, Texas
Destination Expert
for South Padre Island
Level Contributor
809 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safest area for swimming spi or corpus christi

I can't speak for Corpus, but as far as jelly fish on SPI, I think that depends directly on the tides and it is unpredictable. I have been there when there have been lots of beached jelly fish and at times I have seen none. I am probably tempting the fates, but in all the years I have been going down there (over 20), I have never been stung by a jelly fish/man of war, nor has my family. As far as the undertow, it is always there, and you need to have a healthy respect for it. As long as you are within your swimming capabilities, it should not present a problem.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
309 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safest area for swimming spi or corpus christi

I've been to both South Padre and Port Aransas (PA os an island near Corpus...much better imo. Corpus beach is very small. I would go if I was a local, but if I traveled there all the way from KS, I would be very disappointed) Actually, last year, we went to Corpus Christi, but spent the entire time on Port Aransas. I've seen a few beached jellies at Port Aransas, but none of us ever got stung...went 3 times last year. It's been a while since I've been to padre, but didn't have any problems. None of us had a problem with the undertow at either location, and I've been with and without our kids who are now 14 and 12. I wouldn't worry too much about either place...just pick the beach you truly want to go to. (I love Port Aransas, but I would pick South Padre if you don't mind the extra distance)

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safest area for swimming spi or corpus christi

I agree with the other posters. We have been to SPI and to Port Aransas in 2005 (and are returning this year) and had great swims at both places. This was in october so can't tell for june. One problem in SPI, the Red Tide was on but it does not happen often.

Tet

4. Re: safest area for swimming spi or corpus christi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 22:21
Get answers to your questions about South Padre Island