We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Progreso/Matamoros -To go, or not to go....?

oklahoma
4 posts
Save Topic
Progreso/Matamoros -To go, or not to go....?

I've been to SPI many times, and with each vacation we've sauntered over across the border for shopping and such. Both in Matamoros and Progreso, mind you. I've been reading old posts recently and we're starting to think we should skip the day trip to Mexico during our vacation in August. Would love to hear what you all think. Thanks in advance!

Hewitt, Texas
Level Contributor
119 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Progreso/Matamoros -To go, or not to go....?

We were down there & May poted to go to Matamoros.. We are going back in Oct. we have decided not to go back to Mexico. Jewlrey wise you can go to Dallas & buy things way cheaper just have not been impressed & it makes me nervous everytime we go.. I think I would rather rent a dune buggy & drive down the beach.

Canada
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Progreso/Matamoros -To go, or not to go....?

We go across to Nuevo Progreso in the winter and feel perfectly safe on the main street. We only go as far as Garcia's in Matamoros but very seldom...more because we can find all the junk we "need" in Progreso (*g*)! But, all that being said, we only go during the day where, years ago, we would go fairly often for drinks and dinner at night. There's a Garcia's on South Padre Island now... should be open by now. It was being built when we left in March. I still enjoy the walk across to Mexico and Progreso seems not to have had the same drug turf wars as Matamoros and Reynosa ( at least not yet).

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Progreso/Matamoros -To go, or not to go....?

We went to Matamoros 2 years ago and it was frightening!! We usually go to Cabo or Puerto Vallarta and have found them both fun and safe. Matamoros gave us a nerve-wracking feeling each second we were there!!!

Ky.
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Progreso/Matamoros -To go, or not to go....?

We enjoyed bot Progresso and Matamoris. I did most of my Christmas shopping there. There are some nice places to eat very nice ones. We got to know one of the owners and he drove us back across the border one night. There is also a free opera in Matamoris it was a wonderful exp. I didnt feel insecure at all. We just stayed on the main drag. We had no problems at all. Took our son with us. I dont eat in just any of the resturants or from street vendors but we had a great time. We were going about 2 to 3 times a week while we were there and we spent 2 mths. We didnt see anything upsetting.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
141 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Progreso/Matamoros -To go, or not to go....?

I've always enjoyed crossing the border, and eating, shopping, experiencing another culture. But now that I have children, I am more wary. If you feel anxious, just don't take the chance.

6. Re: Progreso/Matamoros -To go, or not to go....?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 09:18
Get answers to your questions about South Padre Island