We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SPI trip for older parents - no partying - close to beach

Which South Padre Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
SPI trip for older parents - no partying - close to beach

I am looking for a current recommendation for a 2 bed, 2 bath condo that is definitely on the beach without too many units. We want to be able to sit on the balcony and listen to the waves, with a view of the gulf. I'm taking my elderly parents, no children, no pets, so a quiet place is good. I want it to be moderately upscale - doesn't have to be the Four Seasons, but I want better than average. We want the unit to be clean, newer built or newer renovated, and must have an elevator. A pool and spa is nice, too. What would you guys recommend? Thanks!

Arlington, Texas
Destination Expert
for South Padre Island
Level Contributor
808 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SPI trip for older parents - no partying - close to beach

Bridgepoint or Peninsula. They are next door to each other. The Bridgepoint is a high rise, but of course has an elevator and they do not allow spring breakers. All units have balconies facing the ocean and there is a heated pool. There are not a lot of upscale places down there, but these 2 are probably at the top of the list currently.

Austin, Texas
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: SPI trip for older parents - no partying - close to beach

Thanks! I read about these places, and it seems like most people end up mentioning them as the nicest places on the island. Bridgepoint seems to have prices that are over my budget, but perhaps peninsula is more affordable. Are they both close enough to hear the surf when you are on your balcony?

Austin, Texas
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: SPI trip for older parents - no partying - close to beach

I check peninsula - it is also out of my price range. Perhaps I should amend my question to be less than $250 per night for a 2/2 that is close to the beach, newly renovated, has a balcony overlooking the gulf, and elevator access for upper floors.

Can you help?

Arlington, Texas
Destination Expert
for South Padre Island
Level Contributor
808 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SPI trip for older parents - no partying - close to beach

When were you planning on going? Most places have reduced rates now through the first of March. Most of the Peninsula's balconies face the pool area, but there might be some on the ends of the buildings that look out over the water directly. I can't remember for sure. Yes, you can hear the surf most of the time. All the condo buildings are about the same distance from the beach so where you stay won't make much difference in that respect. The Isola Bella is also pretty new and has balconies facing the ocean. I think they have some units for rent. You will probably have to google it and go through a rental agency. Bridgepoint handles their own rentals. Saida is something to check out also. All units are individually owned, so accomodations will vary. Just stay away from Bahia Mar.

Ky
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SPI trip for older parents - no partying - close to beach

Im on the island now. Most here are full for winter. They book pretty far in advance. Im not sure what to tell you if you are looking for newer and upscale. We stay at Gulfview One the units we have been in are clean and well kept. The back side of bldg faces gulf with view and quite. The price is great. If they may be full. We book by calling them direct its less expensive. If you are looking for more expensive prop there are some nice ones here but they do cost more. You might try calling Sunchase Beachfront. It was more modern and close to beach I found difficult to get in and out of. As a family we decided we were happy with spening less and staying at Gulf View One. Happy 2008!

homesweetspi
Level Contributor
404 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SPI trip for older parents - no partying - close to beach

As sandyky says, the island has a lot of people now. Perhaps try www.vrbo.com or cyberrentals.com for South Padre Island and see what's available. Inverness has some lovely condos which are close to the beach...it is quiet and has Winter Texans, but it is large. There are not a lot of places on the beach which are smaller, moderately upscale and in your price range that are not filled this time of year but there must be some. One you could try is Isla del Sol, next to Radisson. It is a small complex right on the beach with a pool...Phone (956)761-2649. Also check out www.service24.com for rentals. They give good service. Good luck with your search - just be sure to come before the end of February!

7. Re: SPI trip for older parents - no partying - close to beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 11:18
Get answers to your questions about South Padre Island