We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Military Discounts anywhere on beach?

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Military Discounts anywhere on beach?

We are stationed in San Antonio and keep hearing that South Padre Island have the best beaches around so we plan on coming down for a mini vacation around 16-19 August for 2 or 3 nights.

I will have my wife and 2 teenage kids with me and would prefer a suite or condo that provides a military discount. Does anyone know such a place?

We were stationed in Hawaii for 4 years so will this place just totally disappoint us?

Should we just go up to Dallas and catch a couple of Rangers games instead?

Anyway, I am about to perhaps be military retired and really need a good deal to make the trip so any help would be greatly appreciated.

God Bless.

Texas
Level Contributor
278 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Military Discounts anywhere on beach?

Compared to HI almost anything will disappoint you. FL may be the closest you'll see in the US. Padre is the best TX has and it isn't even close to FL. August in TX is brutal so I'd almost chose padre because at least it has a beach. If you're really a baseball fan then go up to Arlington or Ft. Worth. There are also nice minor league teams in Grapevine and Ft. Worth. The one in Ft. Worth is on the actual site where some big names played way back.

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
809 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Military Discounts anywhere on beach?

South Padre has its own ambiance, but it ain't Hawaii. Still, I would rather be there than Arlington (I live here)in August (unless you are huge baseball fans).

I am just speculating, but I doubt if the bigger condos on SPI have a specific military rate, however, it never hurts to ask. I would suggest contacting the chain places (Radisson, Sheraton, Holiday Inn). They would be more likely to have a policy for that sort of thing in place. The Radisson has condos on the upper floors and the Sheraton has suites.

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Military Discounts anywhere on beach?

Thanks. I think I have narrowed our choices to the Sheraton, South Beach Inn, and some of the condos around the Gulf View I since it is right close to the water park and it has such a large pool.

Richardson, Texas
Level Contributor
227 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Military Discounts anywhere on beach?

Try the Armed Forces Vacation Club. http://www.afvclub.com/ They have some good rates on condos though I don't know if they have anything in S. Padre. Doesn't hurt to check though. Good luck and have fun!

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Military Discounts anywhere on beach?

There are some good deals from that site, but there are none listed for South Padre...

DFW
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Military Discounts anywhere on beach?

La Quinta offers a govt/military rate. I'm retired Military and always get a very good discount. Book your room online and indicate govt/military,then show I.D. when you arrive. They also allow pets free of charge....not a resort but a good option.

7. Re: Military Discounts anywhere on beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 14:20
Get answers to your questions about South Padre Island