We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pier Fishing with Kids

Houston
2 posts
Save Topic
Pier Fishing with Kids

We are taking a family trip to South Padre in mid August. Does anyone have recommendations for Pier fishing with kids. Any thoughts on what type of equipment, locations and bait to use would be helpful. Also if you have a top ten of attractions to see that would be great too. This will be our first time as a family to visit South Padre. Thanks!!

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pier Fishing with Kids

Hmmm. I do recall there is a pier in Port Isabel that seems to get lots of action. Don't recall the name, but it is on the north side of the highway. The name might have to do with pirates or something, and it is literally right before the causeway to SPI. Sorry I can't be of more help.

At this time of year, you might be there for the TIFF fishing tournament. Those folks and the stores that cater to the entrants might be good sources of info. I see people surf casting near the hotels, but I have yet to see anyone bring in anything of note.

As for other attractions, the dolphin cruises aren't bad provided you go first thing to avoid the heat (plus, you save a couple of bucks). Look for the one where they dredge up sea life from the bottom of the bay to show the kids. There is alos the lighthouse tour in PI. Once again, go early to beat the heat. Trips to Mexico used to be fun, but the situation has gotten awfully dicey the past few years. Otherwise, we generally go to relax. There are go-karts and other such attractions, but they are the antithesis of what SPI is about:relaxation.

Be sure to try the Palmetto Inn for the best Mex. on the island, especially the queso.

Houston
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pier Fishing with Kids

Thank you for the input. This will be very helpful.

Get answers to your questions about South Padre Island