We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family vacation in July

Illinois
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Family vacation in July

We are planning a family vacation for 11 in the month of July. Kids range in age from 8 years old to 3 years old. What are some fun, some what educational things to do in the area. We were wanting to take to a zoo or national park of some kind. Any help would be appriciated.

homesweetspi
Level Contributor
404 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family vacation in July

There is no national park close to South Padre Island but there is Laguna Atascosa Wildlife refuge about ten miles away. On Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays they do interpretive trolley rides through the park. There is the Sealife Center in Port Isabel with great exhibits of local live species and Scarlett Colley and her husband who operate the center do an excellent and educational dolphin and marinelife cruise. The Sea Turtle Center on SPI is very interesting and is where you can learn about sea turtles, meet some of the resident and rescued turtles up close and personal and find out about the great work the center does to help increase the numbers of particularly Kemps Ridley turtles. At the SPI convention center there is a nature walk boardwalk where you see lots of species of birds and maybe the resident alligator.

There are a Beachcombers museum on the island and three museums in Port Isabel. There's the lighthouse in Port Isabel to climb. There is a replica of a real pirate ship in Port Isabel that you can do a cruise on, especially geared to young wannabe pirates with games and facepainting and just plain fun for all.

And there is a terrific zoo in Brownsville...Gladys Porter Zoo, one of North America's top zoos for exotic animals.

And there are wonderful shells to collect on a fabulous long beach... and Schlitterbahn Waterpark!

I think you and the little ones can be kept busy and maybe learn a little something along the way.

Arlington, Texas
Destination Expert
for South Padre Island
Level Contributor
809 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family vacation in July

Great post, homesweetspi!

homesweetspi
Level Contributor
404 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family vacation in July

Thanks,linlo...back at you for all your great ones. and to island princess...dontcha love this job?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
395 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family vacation in July

My kids love SPI and think it is a requirement that we go every summer at least twice.

The eco boat trips are amazing and you can combine it with dolphin trips. To see the kids faces --truly magnificient.

We stay at Bridgepoint and the kids don't think any other place exists.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
276 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family vacation in July

did anyone mention Schlitterbahn? When my son was little he loved the sand castle area. Even when he was 3, he was going on the up hill water coasters.

to me, SPI is beach fun. there is the turtle habitat too. There is a park heading north on the island, but it is better to stay outside your condo. they can drive on the beach at the park and I freaked with my little one.

the little electric cars are a blast too.

I believe Brownsville or McAllen has the zoo. we dont leave the island once we are there. We go into port Isabel but no further.

6. Re: Family vacation in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 11:20
Get answers to your questions about South Padre Island