We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liquor Laws

Los Angeles, CA USA
Level Contributor
90 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Liquor Laws

Is it possible to buy liquor in South Padre at grocery stores or liquor stores or is it only sold by the drink at bars and restaurants? I once drove through Texas on I 40 and some counties were dry (!) meaning no liquor sales except at bars.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Liquor Laws

On I-40, you were probably in the NW section of Amarillo or out in the sticks.

Rest assured, you can buy booze at SPI. Grocery stores have beer. Try the HEB in Port Isabel. The Blue Marlin on the island is OK price-wise, but the selection is limited. You can drink on the beach as long as it's in cans. Just be sure to dispose of your cans. (Our southern neighbors often don't.)

The liquor stores on the island have a surprisingly wide selection of booze, but for wine hit the Feldman's in McAllen.

South Padre Island...
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Liquor Laws

SPI is the "wettest" place in South Texas. Try Ben's Liquor on the Island: spireviews.com/article/Bens-liquor/Shopping/

Or, try any of the local grocery stores. Another cool tidbit: you can drink alcohol on the beach as long as it's not in a glass container.

Have fun! Check out the site: www.spireviews.com

Los Angeles, CA USA
Level Contributor
90 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Liquor Laws

Thanks guys. I'm really looking forward to my trip!

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,591 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Liquor Laws

Just to clarify, in TX, grocery stores sell only beer and wine. For a bottle of liquor you'll have to go to a liquor store. On SPI, you'll have no trouble finding either.

South Padre Island...
Level Contributor
48 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Liquor Laws

Hey,

The single biggest thing to remember is that on Sunday....no liquor is sold in Texas carry out/off sales.

Chad Hart

VP Internet Marketing

chad@inertiatours.com

http://www.inertiatours.com

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
6,026 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Liquor Laws

I've lived in Texas ALL my life and it is still a challenge trying to remember what gets sold where and when....my poor husband from Missouri still can't get used to liquor stores and no sales on Sunday after 25+ years!

leon valley, tx
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Liquor Laws

Dont drink and drive on the Beach area.

Drink in your room or on the beach.

Bring plenty of money for fines.

Remember,,,, a lot of the girls are under 18 years of age, but look 20.

Get answers to your questions about South Padre Island