We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Tiki Condominium info

Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
The Tiki Condominium info

Hello,

I pretty much decided on staying at the Tiki, due to its location and the good reviews. I have some questions that hopefully can be answered.

I'm planning to reserve one of the A-unit, the full-beachfront one-bedroom condo.

1. How big is the balcony\patio off the room? Does it come with outdoor furniture & is it big enough to stretch out in it? or is it one of those small "balcony" in name only?

2. How old\worn is the furniture\place? I don't expect the latest furniture, but want comfortable clean furnishings and surroundings.

3. It has a kitchen, but if I want to cook some meals, do I need to bring my own knives, pots, etc?

4. I assume that they have a daily maid service?

5. How's the beach in front of the condo? I read in some reviews that the beaches further up this may not be maintained as well as those further south the island?

Also, any other insight from those who stayed at the Tiki would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Tiki Condominium info

Have never rented the beach-side condos, but the balconies look big enough for several chairs,etc...

Kitchen has full pots and pans. If you ned crock-pots or blenders, bring your own.

The furnishings depend on the owner of the condo. Furniture/carpet is similar to ski condos I've rented in Colorado...not four-star, but clean and decent.

Maid service is fine.

As far as the beach goes, the S. Padre beach crew rakes there just like everyplace else.

Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The Tiki Condominium info

Wondertrav,

Thanks for the good info. I know that it's not the Ritz or anything, but wanted to make sure it's not a seedy beach place.

BTW, I assume the unit won't have a safe inside, did you have any problem leaving valuables like a camera, etc. in the condo when you go out? I don't want to be carrying around my wallet, camera, etc. when I'm out at the beach.

Thanks.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Tiki Condominium info

We never had a problem with digital cameras, firearms, jewlery, etc...

Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The Tiki Condominium info

Wondertrev,

Thanks again. I've reserved one of the beachfront condo at the Tiki. Can't wait to go and relax on the beach, hope it's hotter than normal.

harrisburg, pa
Level Contributor
158 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Tiki Condominium info

You will love the Tiki. I have stayed in the direct gulf-front units and they are great. It depends upon what unit - but they all have chairs to sit and sip coffee and watch the sunrise over the Gulf in the early morning or just chill with your favorite beverage in the evening.

As with all beach condos, they are furnished with basic utensils inlcuding coffee makers and microwaves...but if you want sharp knives for bagels or tomatoes, etc.... I'd pack a trusty one (maybe just a good steak knife) in your CHECKED baggage. You might also want to bring a small non-stick frying pan since the ones in condos always seem worn.

Enjoy SPI!

Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: The Tiki Condominium info

psuag,

Thanks for the info. Great to know that you enjoyed staying there. Thanks for the advice about bringing some of my own utensils, I'll definitely have to bring some.

Also, what's their maid-service like? Do they just bring towels or do they clean the condo?

Do they bring fresh towels every day? What time do they usually come or can you ask them to come at specific time, ie, morning, afternoon, etc.

Only 4 weeks to go, really looking forward to this trip.

harrisburg, pa
Level Contributor
158 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Tiki Condominium info

Java - I am looking forward to my trip as well - in Late May! As to maid service -I believe they leave fresh towels every day (but bring your own beach towels). As to timing of maid service - it varies. If you have a specified time you'd like the service I suggest you let the front desk know when you check in.

As to the furnishings - each condo is individually owned so taste and oondition varies - but overall it is "beach casual." I've never had a bad experience there.... however, the one other thing you might want to bring is some good bug spray - mosquitoes can be a problem if it has been rainy (especially in the pool areas at night) but that is the exception rather than the rule. Texas is currently in a very dry spell. Good for vacationers (like us) not so good for the locals in the farm community!

Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: The Tiki Condominium info

psuag,

Thanks, good to know about the towels. I'll also bring some bug spray. Hope the osquitoe problem doesn't appear, since I'm looking forward to relaxing out in the balcony and enjoy the sight & sounds of the gulf!

"Beach casual" is fine, I just wanted something clean, and not have to dodge too many ants\roaches, if they're a problem around the beach area.

Are there places around the condo that rent out beach umbrellas?

Can you also suggest some casual places to eat around there? I'll have a car, but I'm thinking of renting a bike & just biking all over the island.

Well, hope the weather stays dry & hot for both our vacations.

Fort Worth, TX
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The Tiki Condominium info

There is a beach rental concession that offers umbrellas, and chairs. Contact the office at the Tiki for information.

Have a good stay on the "Island"

harrisburg, pa
Level Contributor
158 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Tiki Condominium info

Java - The mosquitoes -- if any - won't be a problem on your oceanfront balcony - the gulf breezes will keep them at bay! Just wanted you to be prepared! They sometimes lurk in the area around the pools in damp weather because of lush and beautiful tropical vegetation. It will be fine!

As to casual restaurants - there are many. I LOVE Tex-Mex and always make at least one visit to the Palmetto Inn. Really good! Another place I like is Louie's Backyard...mostly for the sunsets on Laguna Madre (the bayside of the island). They have a huge deck and a great restaurant with lots of seafood and other stuff. They also have a bunch of bars if you are into the nightlife thing... but you can always just go for a cold Coke and watch the sun sink on Texas. Beautiful.

Get answers to your questions about South Padre Island