We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SPI Family Trip

Which South Padre Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
SPI Family Trip

We are planning a family trip to SPI in June of 2012. Is it safe being so close to Mexico with all the Drug and Violence problems they are having?

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
186 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SPI Family Trip

We have been to SPI three times in the last 6 months, once with our two daughters, and have not had any problems. We have not crossed into Mexico any of those times.

Monterrey, Mexico
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: SPI Family Trip

I am from Mexico, and have a family condo on SPI. Violence are on Mexican highways and Mexican border towns, rarely across the US border (McAllen, Brownsville) SPI never.. it is very safe, dont you worry about Mexican cartel violence.

Monterrey, Mexico
Level Contributor
238 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SPI Family Trip

I am also from Mexico and went to SPI 2 weeks ago in I can assure you that is very safe!! The problems are on the other side of the border

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
267 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SPI Family Trip

Agree. It's VERY safe. And unlike a lot of US cities, there are no "bad parts of town". I've been with my daughters numerous times, and there has never been an issue. The only thing you may come across are those who have had too much to drink, but nothing related to drug violence.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
276 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SPI Family Trip

I am at SPI right now and it is very safe. No problems at all! We have been down here for a week and will leave tomorrow.

6. Re: SPI Family Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about South Padre Island