We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Water

Houston, texas
13 posts
Save Topic
The Water

Is the water clear enuff to see your feet? I am used to Galveston where, well you can't. I've heard it is clear, then i have heard it isn't..

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
809 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Water

well, that's a hard question. the water is not crystal clear like Mexico or Florida, and a lot depends on how churned up the surf is. you can probably still see your feet if you are in pretty shallow water. in october, the water was clear enough that I found sand dollars (!!!) in knee deep (maybe a little deeper) water.

Houston, texas
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The Water

Cool! I am used to galveston, and if you ever been there you would know it's not the best.. from what i saw in pics its alot better than galveston.. Thanks!

Dallas
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The Water

I've been to both Galveston a couple of times and S. Padre several times. It's not pristine like Hawaii or Florida or something, but compared to Galveston you will think it is very very clean by comparison. Its cleaner than much of Californias/LA area water in my opinion. And the beach is 100x cleaner than Galveston and cleaner than many of LA's beaches too, but not sparkling sand like really tropical places. You won't have that nasty Galveston smell on you and all over your car like you do after Galveston especially if you collect shells or lie in the sand a while. And there is no lush tropical growth there, some plam trees, but again its not Hawaii or Florida. Its clean and wide beaches, nice sand and fairly clear water. A near tropical experience that is much closer to home (for me) and much more affordable vacation than the elite beach spots.

Houston, texas
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The Water

Thanks! That's what i wanted to hear!! Ha Ha..

i knew it would be nothing like Mexico or Florida etc.. But it is in our budget at the moment. We just want some sun and some drinks away from home.. My mom might fly in from Dallas with her boyfriend and join us! Now that I'm older, i don't mind her tagging along..he he he..It will be nice...

Thank you again!!!

harrisburg, pa
Level Contributor
158 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Water

Yamaha - I agree with the other posters... it is a crap shoot on clear water - but being a PA girl (and kinda used to cloudy, cold surf) at the Jersey shore, you will LOVE SPI - very warm and salty...and you can just float out to forever on a calm day. It is a great beach - going there myself at the end of May. Enjoy.

Houston, texas
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: The Water

Shhhh.. I am a PA(pittsburgh) girl too.. been living here in texas quite a while.. I know all about the shore @ jersey. Mom and dad used to take me when i was a little one..

enjoy your trip!!!

Get answers to your questions about South Padre Island