We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Padre beaches

Portland, Michigan
Level Contributor
1 post
86 reviews
Save Topic
South Padre beaches

We were planning to spend a month in South Padre in February 2013. However, I have read many comments regarding the filthy condition of the beaches .. lots of trash and seaweed. I am reconsidering this location for our winter getaway. Any advice?

Mentioned in this post
South Padre Island
South Padre Island
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Houston, Texas
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: South Padre beaches

I wouldn't worry about it. Like any beachy area in the country, there are beaches that are better maintained than others (e.g. private beaches vs. some public beaches). The same is true for SPI.

There is so much to explore and do that you'll be able to fill your month up with as much (or little) as you're looking for.

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
809 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Padre beaches

The beach is swept every morning. Yes, there are times when the seaweed is bad, and I am guessing that is the result of whatever is happening at sea. There will be many "winter Texans" sharing the beach with you and enjoying the area. Don't be afraid.

Port Isabel, Texas
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Padre beaches

look for your self at this web site southpadrelive.com

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
186 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Padre beaches

over the last year, we have visited in October, January, April, and June - the beach conditions have varied - the most seaweed was in April - no trash, just seaweed - the other times, the beaches were maintained very well - weekends in June did have some trash - but it was picked up before the next morning - there are many Winter Texans in December - February - enjoy!

South Padre Island...
Level Contributor
20 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Padre beaches

South Padre Island is working hard to use the seaweed ( Sargassam ) for Dune building and generally improving the condition of their beautiful beach.

The beach will be well maintained and clean , I am certain.

Mentioned in this post
South Padre Island
South Padre Island
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
103 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South Padre beaches

You'll sometimes hear about what people often think is residue from oil spills along the beach, but actually there is a natural asphalt deposit offshore and, depending on current, balls of the asphalt may wash up on the beach. So if you hear about something like that, it's not human-generated pollution, but a natural element there.

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
90 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South Padre beaches

I just returned from isla Mujeres, it's a small island across from cancun. Weather is in the 80 and the beaches are beautiful. U can find cheap monthly rentals and food is awesome and cheap and drinks also. A lot of Americans living in the island and running restaurant. If I had a month I would do isla Mujeras. I'm going to south padre in jan for 4 days. I have t been in 12 years. I just love isla

Mentioned in this post
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
277 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: South Padre beaches

Isla de Mujeres? Agree it’s nice, but it’s not really the same as a domestic visit…apples and oranges.

I just returned from SPI, and the beaches are clean as usual. February will be nice.

Mentioned in this post
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: South Padre beaches

I am at South Padre on vacation right now...the biggest disappointment ever. Seaweed doesn't bother me, that is Mother Nature...I was absolutely shocked today when walking the beach that had so much GARBAGE on it! Literal garbage...stepped over orange peels, eaten corn on the cob, broken toy pieces, smashed water bottles, pieces of rope, etc...and not just an isolated portion of where we walked. Disgusting!

Mentioned in this post
South Padre Island
South Padre Island
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: South Padre beaches

To follow up on my post from yesterday, today we drove to the northern part of South Padre Island and at Edwin K. Atwood State Park accessed the beach and drove on the beach for at least ten miles. Sorry folks, all ten miles was ten miles of trash. We saw a Christmas tree, car bumper, lawn chairs, wood pallet, fence post with hunk of concrete on the bottom, beat up tarps, ropes, and I could go on and on. Shameful. Just reporting the facts of my experience today. There was definitely more trash on our beach adventure today than yesterday near our lodging, which is right on the beach side near the end of the island close to the causeway. Hope others find it cleaned up when they come.

Mentioned in this post
South Padre Island
South Padre Island
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Get answers to your questions about South Padre Island