We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexican food?

Which South Padre Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Mexican food?

We will be in SPI next week (April 20-27). Does anyone know where we will find the best Mexican food on the Island or in and around Port Isabel? I've been to the Big Donkey, and it was ok but nothing "to write home about". Suggestions???

Thanks!

Arlington, Texas
Destination Expert
for South Padre Island
Level Contributor
809 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexican food?

I don't think there is such a place. It could be that I am just spoiled for the Mexican restaurants we have here in DFW. I do like Manuel's in Port Isabel for breakfast or lunch. I don't think they are open for dinner. La Hacienda on the island was showing some promise last summer, ( haven't been back to the island since Labor Day), they feature seafood with a Mexican twist. Maybe there is someplace new I'm not aware of.

Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexican food?

Thanks. Seems like an opportunity for some enterprising Mexican family in the area.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
267 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexican food?

Agree with Linlo. The Donkey is not good, unless maybe you've had a dozen Dos Equis. Manuel's is very good for breakfast but off the path for dinner. And La Hacienda was dialing it in earlier this year, but not sure I'd bill it as "best Mexican food". They do have a nice space with good bay views, so I would place my bet there.

South Padre Island...
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexican food?

Try Isabella's in Port Isabell. They have the best taco's.

The Hilton has great enchiladas and fajitas.

Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
120 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mexican food?

Any current information as to the progress of La Hacienda's "dialing in"? We leave Friday after next and I was really hoping for some good TexMex!!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
267 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mexican food?

Sorry, I have not been back as there has been a number of interesting new places open and we've been trying them. However, Hacienda was more Mexican influenced than Tex-Mex. If you are really going for Tex-Mex style, then Manuel's is your best bet. Think of it this way: Hacienda is a good bet for a nice sunset and atmosphere on the bay with Mexican influenced food. Manuel's is more classic Tex-Mex, but there is zero view...it's only about the food. If you go, please let us know how it's coming along.

7. Re: Mexican food?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2014, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about South Padre Island