We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corpus Christi or South Padre?

Which South Padre Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
285 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Corpus Christi or South Padre?

I need help...my husband and I will be coming down in october, first to see some family in Dallas, some friends in Austin, then to visit the gulf coast. We can't decide between staying in Corpus Christi for a week, or South Padre. I love the beach and swimming, he likes ships and trains. We both love good food, and I love adult beverages, haha. Can anyone recommend one or the other to me?

Vidor, Texas
Level Contributor
467 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Corpus Christi or South Padre?

It's really 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. Personally prefer the island, but check out both places online and see what would suit you and your needs/wants better.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
267 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Corpus Christi or South Padre?

SPI beaches will be better, but not sure about the ships and trains part. I'd sum it up this way, SPI is nearly twice the drive from Austin, but it's the one we make several times a year. For us, it's worth it.

South Padre Island...
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Corpus Christi or South Padre?

South Padre Island for sure !!

Try the La Quinta across from the World Birding center and Sea Turtle Rescue. The Hotels right on the beach next to a huge beach bar ( Clayton's ).

The Hilton next costs a little extra but worth the money , and Aldo on the beach.

For economy try the La Copa. It's on the beach at the south end of the island .

Edited: 17 April 2013, 22:23
North Texas
Level Contributor
267 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Corpus Christi or South Padre?

For beach and ships try Port Aransas, Corpus does not have a "beach" just a bay beach. Port A is next door with a great beach and watching the ships come in through the ship channel is awesome. The Dunes condo is a perfect place for watching both!

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,139 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Corpus Christi or South Padre?

Not sure what kind of ships your husband likes but Corpus Christi is home to the USS Lexington Museum on the Bay.

http://usslexington.com/

6. Re: Corpus Christi or South Padre?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2014, 07:17