We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spi late March w 6yo

Which South Padre Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
489 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
spi late March w 6yo

Hi we really want to go to Texas for my 6yo granddaughter spring break this year. We have a family member who recently moved to spi we havent seen and miss dearly. He wasnt there last year and doesnt know how the beach area will be this year. Her school break is the last week of march, 22nd-30th. I am very concerned about rowdy college spring breakers. Is this a bad week to visit with a little girl? If it is where else can we go in Texas that will be family friendly. We want a few days in San Antonio but not the whole week. Also is six flags san antonio open that week? I looked at their website and it seems they are not. Thanks for any help

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
186 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: spi late March w 6yo

Texas Week (when most schools have Spring Break) is the week of March 10. The week of the 17th will still be crowded. Will not be as bad the last week of March. I would recommend staying on the northern end of the island in a condo complex that does not rent to Spring Breakers. Most of the Spring Break activities are on the south end. We have family who has visited the ladt week of March with their young children and loved it. Best of luck!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
489 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: spi late March w 6yo

Thank you for your response. May I ask how far is north from south on the island and do you know of hotels or condos that do not cater to spring breakers. Will the water be warm enought to splash around in at the end of March? Are there boat tours and other family water sports available?

Boulder, Colorado
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: spi late March w 6yo

By the end of March spring break has usually died down and South Padre is more of a family destination (I have gone five years in a row with my family). To avoid the rest of the Spring Breakers the northern end is definitely more quiet, relaxed, and family oriented (I usually stay at the Hilton Garden Inn at the northern end.) The water in the Gulf of Mexico is pretty warm especially at noon when the sun is at its peak! There are many boat tours and water sports like the dolphin watch, sea life tour, and even a fake pirate ship! Fishing is very big down there and other water sports like surfing, kiteboarding, parasailing and many others. Some other activities I would suggest are the Schlitterbahn Water Park, renting a bike, horseback riding on the beach and ATVs on the dunes which are a much see! I hope this helps!

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
186 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: spi late March w 6yo

We typically stay anywhere north of Hibiscus in a smaller condo complex across the street from the beach. Those complexes are usually newer and nicely furnished. We also prefer the convenience of a condo because we use the full-size kitchen, love the additional space, and with small childen, we find having a washer/dryer is a must! Go to VRBO and search for condos with lots of positive reviews. Then contact the owners of several of them with your specific questions. Enjoy your stay!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: spi late March w 6yo

We are also considering going to SPI for spring break with our 2 young boys (age 9 and 11). We are considering the Hilton Garden Inn the last weekend of March thru the first couple of days in April. Will the area have recovered from college spring breakers by then?

Arlington, Texas
Destination Expert
for South Padre Island
Level Contributor
809 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: spi late March w 6yo

Yes, the ravages of college spring break will be a distant memory by then. Havae fun.

7. Re: spi late March w 6yo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about South Padre Island