We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Key West comparison

Which South Padre Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Key West comparison

My wife and I were in Key West last summer, loved it, but the more I look into South Padre it seems to remind me of Key West somewhat. I looked at some of the restaurants, like Padrerita's? I think, sounds pretty cool. Anyone that has been to both places, seem to think that too, or am I wrong?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Key West comparison

Well we have been to both places but I must say they are completely different. For one thing, SPI has far better beaches. have not been to that restaurant though.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Key West comparison

SPI has less of a "village" feel than Key West has. It is a long narrow strip that runs south to north with the ocean (Gulf) a couple of blocks to the east and the Laguna Madre bay a few blocks to the West. All of the condos, stores and restaurants are stretched out along that strip.

Like the Keys, it is very laid back, casual and beachy. Many people choose to stay in a condo on the Gulf beachfront and the beach is a main daytime attraction. Then at sunset they head a few blocks to one of the restaurants on the bay side to watch the sun go down.

PadreRita Grill is a restaurant/bar/live music place on the street that runs up the middle. We like to go there to hear the owner, J. Micheal (sic) Laferty play and sing. There are also several good beachside bars as well as a number of restaurants on the bay side.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Key West comparison

Sounds good , looking forward to going there!

Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Key West comparison

What time of year are you visiting? We love KW because there is entertainment starting at 10:00 am until the wee hours of the next morning, you can walk every where and carry your cocktail with you. We wintered in SPI last year, we liked it but it is no KW. As mentioned above, the beach is nice and the people are really friendly but bars/resteraunts are not close together like KW and entertainment is sporadic. On the plus side SPI is a lot cheaper for lodging. Keep in mind my review is based on a January/February stay.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Key West comparison

We are coming Dec. 26th, were going to Destin but the high at that time is only supposed to be in the 60's, SPi according to the Dec. forecast in to be around 75, hopefully, we are going to be staying at La Quinta which I was told has a beach bar next door that has live music 7 days a week!, I called and they said they would be open after Christmas. I loved Key West, can not wait to get back, but am looking forward to SPI. First time for me , wife has been there before.

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
177 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Key West comparison

We just spent a week in KW in September. I do find many similarities, but KW is much busier and more crowded, I think. And definitely KW is more expensive.

I love both places but SPI is a place I would definitely go back to. Planning another trip for 2015!!!

7. Re: Key West comparison

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2015, 10:21
Get answers to your questions about South Padre Island