We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Convenient to Reliant Park in Houston?

Which Webster hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
72 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Convenient to Reliant Park in Houston?

Hi,

I would much appreciate it anyone could tell me if communte from Best Western Webster Hotel, NASA(Bay Area Blvd.) to Reliant Park,Houston would be managable on weekday mornings? How is this area in terms of restaurnats,etc.-any recommendations?

Is public transportation good or would one need a car?Please suggest a reasonably priced good Car Rental company.

Looking forward to visit the South!

Cheers,

Geena

11 replies to this topic
knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,068 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Convenient to Reliant Park in Houston?

That will be a long and brutal commute, both ways. Is there a reason to stay that far out?

New York
Level Contributor
72 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Convenient to Reliant Park in Houston?

All the nearby accommodations seem booked out for the dates. :(

How bad is it?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Convenient to Reliant Park in Houston?

Public transport is really out of the question. If you have another person riding with you then you can take the HOV lane and that will ease things a little. I don't go towards Webster that much and unless things have changed options of restaurants (and things to do) are somewhat limited. Not that the commute will be any better but a place like First Colony will be much better and lots of things to do within walking in the mall area (and several hotels). I would estimate 40 to 50 mts each way with traffic from either place.

As far as car rental you have all the major players and Enterprise (which I don't think is nationwide). Keep an eye out for hotwire, priceline etc, as I have seen some good deals on car rental.

New York
Level Contributor
72 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Convenient to Reliant Park in Houston?

Wow, thanks a lot for the useful info Kingwood1811.

I couldn't find hotels in First Colony on Tripadvisor, is Sugarland the area or is there some other area name?

Some accommodations near the IAH airport seem good, would you recommend those for a better commute to Reliant Park?

Thanks again!

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,068 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Convenient to Reliant Park in Houston?

Are you coming in March? If so, the reason for the booked up hotels is the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.

Sugarland is the area for First Colony. IAH would be a long commute also. I would probably try the Sugarland area, Pearland or Galleria areas as my first choices.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Convenient to Reliant Park in Houston?

I'd also say 45-60 minutes for the commute. You take I-45 (Gulf Freeway) heading north, them I-610 (South Loop) heading west, then exit on Fannin or Kirby. If you are going to an event, check out the website for the event plan your route to parking.

I've commuted during rush hour between west Pearland and the Reliant Center area on Hwy 288. It takes about 30 minutes. Add 15 minutes coming from the east side of Pearland.

I've only been through Sugarland once. It, too, has a pretty direct commute, but I'd allow 45 minutes.

IAH to Reliant Center during rush hour? The very idea makes me shudder.

Suggestion, tomorrow morning, check out traffic on Google or Bing at 8am local to get an idea on what you will encounter. Do a trip plan which will show you the driving time.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Convenient to Reliant Park in Houston?

To add, don't confuse South Loop East and South Loop West as directions of travel, those are just the eastern and western sections of the highway. I 'think' from I-45, you will get on I-610 South Loop East, but heading west.

New York
Level Contributor
72 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Convenient to Reliant Park in Houston?

Wow, U guys r the best, thanks so much! Guess I should stick to South of Houston(East & West) during my search.

Any recommendations for places to stay, restaurants to try, etc...? would love to try the locally famous yet hidden gems!

Cheers,

Geena

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Convenient to Reliant Park in Houston?

I will stick to South and West (not much East of Reliant unless immediate). The three areas I would recommend are, First Colony (yes Sugarland), Galleria area and Memorial City. Galleria is the closest and most probably the most expensive (add parking) and also the most congested. Memorial City is the next closest. The 610 loop will be congested but if you don't mind paying a toll you can go down the non freeway to the West Park Toll road (no cash - tag only) or come around the other way (just study the map but several options). First Colony is the farthest; two routes 59 (69) to 610 or 59 to 90.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,525 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Convenient to Reliant Park in Houston?

Geena--

If you haven't tried hotels in downtown Houston and they are available and within your budget, you could take the MetroRail directly from its stops along Main St. out to Reliant Park. Naturally, this wont work if you're locked into your hotel in Webster, but someone needs to be chewed out for booking you there--almost equivalent to booking someone in Montauk Point for a job in Manhattan. ;-)

When are you coming to town? The rodeo lasts from March 4-23, at which point hotel rooms should not be in such short supply. Is that the time frame during which you're scheduled here?

Reply to: Convenient to Reliant Park in Houston?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Webster
Recent Conversations