We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for help with itinerary

bethesda, md
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Looking for help with itinerary

We are visiting Utah/Arizona this summer and are cobbling together an itinerary, based on availability at national park and other lodging. Given what we were able to reserve, this is how it looks. I'm hoping someone can give me a reality check on (a) whether it's feasible to drive these distances, (b) whether our timing makes any sense. Remember, though, we're somewhat constrained as many of the lodges are pretty booked up:

Day one -- fly into Las Vegas, spend the afternoon/evening in LV.

Day two -- drive to Bryce. Night in Bryce Canyon Lodge

Day Three -- Bryce -- Bryce Canyon Lodge

Day Four -- Drive to North Rim GC, night at cabin on the North Rim

Day Five -- Grand Canyon, then drive to Zion, night at Zion Lodge

Day Six -- Zion -- Zion Lodge

Day Seven -- Zion in am, then drive to Moab, night in Moab

Day Eight -- Moab area national parks (night in Moab)

Day Nine -- Moab area national parks (night in Moab)

Day Ten -- Depart from airport near Moab in Colorado

Natural Bridge
Bridges, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Bryce Canyon Wildlife Adventure
Speciality Museums, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
838 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for help with itinerary

Hi jojojama,

Yes, i think this will work. Just keep in mind that you will have drive times from 3.5 to 6 hours.

The up side is the drives are beautiful.

enjoy your trip!

Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for help with itinerary

Looks good but if you could go Zion, North Rim, Bryce, Moab you could save quite a bit of driving.

Also, if you go Bryce to Moab, you could stop at Kodachrome State Park and then you might be able to take a route through Capital Reef National Park.

Good Luck and Enjoy!!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,131 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for help with itinerary

Assuming you have ressis already and are just wondering now what you have done? :-). Relax, you did fine.

It looked good right up until day 7 Zion to Moab. That one is really the only bad day in the plan. You have two options. First you can go back out to I-15 take that to I-70 and over to hwy 191. That will take about 5 hours and stretches of I-70 are wonderful. It would give you a little more time in Zion to take one more hike.

Or you could take the more scenic route back through Bryce and along Hwy 12 to hwy 24 at Torrey, then through Hanksville to I-70 and then over to hwy 191. This would take about 7 hours without stops, but the views of Hwy 12 and Capitol Reef might be worth it to you. Just plan on driving the whole day with stops here and there for a break (Like in Capitol Reef or at Goblin SP)

One other thing...from Grand Canyon to Zions. Try not to take that in the dark. The east entrance to Zions is beautiful and very different from the main canyon. You'll want to see it in the daylight.

4. Re: Looking for help with itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 09:19
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now