We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zion and Bryce

cuneo
Level Contributor
131 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Zion and Bryce

Hi everybody,coming from Las Vegas I'd like to visit Zion and Bryce national parks before heading north along hwy 89.(From a scenic point of view as well)is it better to take hwy 9 and then hwy 89N or hwy 14 from Cedar City and then hwy 89S?Suggestions about the itinerary are welcome...

Thanks for your help.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,926 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zion and Bryce

If you are going to Zions then hwy 9 is a much better option to get to Bryce than 14. You will want to visit the east section of Zions along hwy 9. It is very different from the main canyon area.

So then you would head north on 89 to Bryce.

I'm not sure if you are talking about continuing on 89 north after Bryce? Where will you be heading to after that?

cuneo
Level Contributor
131 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zion and Bryce

After Zion and Bryce I'm going to Sigurd along hwy89 and then to Arches national park,Monument valley,Grand Canyon...I posted this question because I found an itinerary on an Italian travel magazine where they suggested to visit Bryce first from Cedar City(hwy 14)and then Zion (hwy 89 and hwy 9 to the east entrance),then back along hwy 89 to Sigurd,and I didn't understand why...any suggestions?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,923 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zion and Bryce

Talk about backtracking,that makes no sense.You may want to consider Hwy 12 from Bryce to Torrey on the way to Arches instead of heading up 89.Very pretty drive.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zion and Bryce

See for yourself www.scenicbyway12.com I never heard the town Sigurd mentioned on this forum before.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,926 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zion and Bryce

That round about way in the Italian mag is better thrown out the window.

If you want scenic you will not get it on 89 to Sigurd. You could go that way to get to I-70 then to Moab,

but it makes a whole lot more sense to see Zions first, take hwy 9 to 89 to 12 to Bryce then continue on hwy 12 to Torrey- so much more to see and do.

Then take hwy 24 through Capitol Reef Natl Park (my favorite unknown park) to I70 to 191 to Moab.

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zion and Bryce

I agree with all the rest don't miss Scenic Highway 12 - stop off at the Kiva Koffeehouse for a nice break and some wonderful views.

May I suggest the Cowboy Homestead Cabins in Torrey for lodging we enjoyed them very much.

Happy Travels.

cuneo
Level Contributor
131 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zion and Bryce

Thank you for your useful advice,I'll change my itinerary a little bit.Can you tell me how long it will take from Bryce to Torrey and Moab (hwy12+hwy24)?What are roads like?And do you think that 13 days are enough for this round trip I've told you about ?Is it better mid-May or June? No more questions.Thanks,thanks,thanks...

8. Re: Zion and Bryce

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 08:17