We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for our 4-night/3-day trip to Bryce/Zion region

san jose
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Suggestions for our 4-night/3-day trip to Bryce/Zion region

Planning a trip to Bryce/Zion before Thanksgiving (before heading to LV for thanksgiving). We will be arriving at Bryce Canyon on 11/20, and be staying at Ruby Inn for 4 nights. So we have 3 full days to explore the region. We are 2 families each with 2 kids (11 and 13 yrs), reasonably fit--3-4 hr hikes are OK, beyond that the kids (or wives) might start to whine.

We will definitely explore Bryce by foot. so any suggestion for hiking routes given our condition and where we stayed (Ruby Inn in Bryce Canyon city)?

Then it's Zion. We are from bay area so we have been to Yosamite multiple times. I remember the last time I visited I feel it was similar to Yomasite. My worry is that the kids might get bored. Any suggestion what we can do (hiking route to take) to give them a different perspective?

Then there is this question of whether it is worth it to take a day to visit Capitol Reef.

Thank you for your kind suggestions. Oh, tips on which restaurants to try are welcome.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,784 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for our 4-night/3-day trip to Bryce/Zion region

Yosemite is very similar to Zions,,, I remember thinking that myself when we visited Yosemite. I think your kids are a little too old for the jr ranger program, which is great for getting the kids involved in the park on their own level. I don't know what your kids are like, but mine were never bored as long as there was a rock to climb, a lizard to chase or water in which to throw rocks.

At Bryce I always recommend the Navaho to Queens Garden loop (Go down the Wall street section). At the bottom take the short detour up to see the bridge/arch. Another good hike is the Bristlecone Pine at the end of the scenic drive. Be sure to also walk along the rim trail for awhile.

At Zions you might consider Hidden Canyon. Also do Riverside Walk and the Angel's Landing trail at least up to Scouts Lookout. I wouldn't recommend the Narrows in November unless you were wearing the cold weather outfits from Zion Adventure.

With only three days I would not drive up to Capitol Reef. Not enough time.

You might consider renting bikes and taking them to the end of the road and then riding them back. Or maybe just along the Pa'rus trail since there will be cars on the canyon road.

If you run out of things to do in the park you could visit the old Grafton townsite, drive up the Kolob Terrace road, or maybe you might want to consider a canyoneering trip?

And then if you have to do some kid stuff you could drive into St George and hang out at Fiesta Fun.

san jose
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for our 4-night/3-day trip to Bryce/Zion region

Thanks for the feedback, kbecjeans.

If we have a day in Zion, which one(s) of the 3 hikes would you recommend (Hidden Canyon, Riverside Walk and the Angel's Landing trail)? Roughly how long would it take to hike each of the trails?

I am assuming we don't need to wade through water for part of the trails, as I think it would be too cold to do that by the end of Nov.

Is Emerald Pool on any of the trails you mentioned above? It is often mentioned in forum post.

Thanks,

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,784 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for our 4-night/3-day trip to Bryce/Zion region

If you are in good shape you could easily do Angel's Landing in the morning (5m rt mostly uphill on the way out), Riverside walk afterwards (2m rt mostly level) and Emerald Pools in the later afternoon (1-3 m rt depending on which pools you go to.) That would give you a well rounded view of the variety of places in Zions.

The only trail you walk in the water is the Narrows which starts at the end of the Riverside walk.

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
629 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for our 4-night/3-day trip to Bryce/Zion region

Agree with kbe...'s posting about the best hikes in Zion. Angel's Landing is a really special hike, and the last part past Scout's Landing is only for those without fears of heights! (It's really quite safe, just kinda scary at first).

For eating in Sprindgale, I highly recommend Oscar's cafe.

http://cafeoscars.com/

Enjoy your trip!

san jose
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for our 4-night/3-day trip to Bryce/Zion region

Thank you both for the commendations.

New York
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for our 4-night/3-day trip to Bryce/Zion region

It sounds like you are spending 4 nights in Bryce, but also want to visit Zion? I would plan only one or 2 nights in Bryce, then go to Zion for 2 or 3 nights. Its a long drive from Bryce to Zion to do day trip.

san jose
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for our 4-night/3-day trip to Bryce/Zion region

hi, hyperchickmom:

We have modified our travel plan since so we are spending 2 nights at Zion and 2 nights at Bryce. With that change I think we can manage to do (nearly) all the things suggested here. Oh, trying to squeeze in half day of horse back riding (probably at Bryce). Any recommendations?

New York
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for our 4-night/3-day trip to Bryce/Zion region

Great! In Zion, I would highly recommend hiking the narrows if weather is agreeable. Rent the shoes, and dry suit at

www.zionadventures.com

This is an adventure that the kids would love! You go as far as you want, then turn back! Here are some photos from our trip!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ibuytosell/

Boston...
Level Contributor
533 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for our 4-night/3-day trip to Bryce/Zion region

other good trails in bryce are peekaboo loop and fairyland loop. other trail in zion would be observation point. should consider going to goblin valley ,back side of bryce and kodachrome basin.if really ambitious you can do arches, canyon lands area.

pgh,pa
Level Contributor
179 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for our 4-night/3-day trip to Bryce/Zion region

We went to Bryce in May of this year and did a horseback ride from Rubys Inn into Red Rock Canyon Even though we rode through a snow/rain/ ice storm it was very enjoyable