We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Ferry at Hall's Crossing, Burr Trail road

Which Escalante hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
6 posts
Save Topic
Car Ferry at Hall's Crossing, Burr Trail road

From Somerville, MA.

Is it possible to drive from Rt. 95 at Natural Bridges going north in a circle taking Rt. 276, crossing Glen Canyon Recreation area on the car ferry at Hall's Crossing, then back on Rt. 276 to Rt. 95 again? Using a rental SUV...only light short hikes now due to illness...

What about Burr Trail Road?

We have done the circle from Grand Canyon - Page - Monument Valley - Moab - Torrey - Bryce - Zion - Kanab over the last 3 years and love the area but want to vary the trip. Maybe these roads are a little too primitive for us and a rented vehicle?

Thanks,

Peg

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,593 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Ferry at Hall's Crossing, Burr Trail road

Yes it is possible to do. The roads aren't super highways, but they are good roads, and especially the one south of Lake Powell is not well traveled.

I'm not sure what you'd accomplish by taking the round trip except to see some of this country's empty spaces.

The ferry only goes about 4 times a day so plan your trip to get there in time.

What about the Burr trail? It will take you to some beautiful places. For the most part it is paved except the portion through Capitol Reef park. The southern part to bullfrog had patches of pavement and patches of dirt road last year in April when I was on it. One problem would be that rental cars are not covered on dirt road travel.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Ferry at Hall's Crossing, Burr Trail road

From a scenery point of view you don't gain anything by taking the ferry loop, it crosses the reservoir at a wide point without any notable scenic interest. If you can go on dirt roads and it is dry there are lots of dirt alternatives between Torrey and Bryce/Page/etc.

For anybody interested in these dirt roads might I recommend the Utah Trails series of books by Peter Massey and Jeanne Wilson, there are four of them covering various regions of Utah (no connection, just a happy reader)

Bob Palin

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Ferry at Hall's Crossing, Burr Trail road

Last year we had same thoughts about driving 276 and the ferry but decided to continue on 95 (we even stopped at the crossing and at the signs) but decided to continue 95. And we weren't sorry. It's a great drive on 95 and a stop at Hite's Overlook is a must.

Tet

Boston, MA
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Ferry at Hall's Crossing, Burr Trail road

Thanks, folks...

I know we are not allowed to take the rental onto dirt roads, so there's the answer re: the Burr Trail Road... but what about if you are in a state/national park and you have no choice but to continue, do they make exceptions for that?

We were thinking that the road (276) and the ferry ride in the Glen Canyon Recreation Area would afford wonderful scenery because it was so beautiful at Lake Powell, but I guess not...probably wouldn't want to bother going that much out of the way...95 sounds good enough, then.

We were going to continue up to Interstate 70 then down to Moab again via Rt. 128...don't mind lots of empty space...love that sage grass...can't really hike at the moment, anyway, so limited...

I read somewhere that you can rent a 4WD vehicle in Moab? Maybe that would be a better choice - then reverse the direction of the trip and include Burr Trail Road in Capitol Reef National Park?

Please don't laugh - I am deathly afraid of flash flooding ever since I saw one on You Tube some time ago...I also read somewhere about a local couple in that area caught by one in a wash...I get nervous if there's a cloud in the sky...so, what are the chances for rookies like us driving around in a remote area?

Is there a way to tell if it's safe that day, or what? We would be travelling in late summer, early fall...would another time be better...last three trips were late June to August - wanted some cooler weather next time.

Thanks,

Peg

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,593 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Ferry at Hall's Crossing, Burr Trail road

<<if you are in a state/national park and you have no choice but to continue, do they make exceptions for that?>>

No. But that hasn't stopped people from doing it anyway,,,make an educated decision as to whether the chances of anything happening to you on the dirt road are worth missing the great scenery.

- My memory isn't all the great sometimes, but I don't think the scenery along 276 is all that different from 95. And you'll love the views of the Colorado (or Lake Powell if the water is high enough) at Hite crossing.

-There are 4x4 rentals in Moab which do allow dirt road driving. That is kind of the idea there.

-If you drive along hwy 12 the Burr trail begins in the town of Boulder. The first 22 miles or so of the road there are paved (until you get to Capitol Reef). This part has some worthy scenic value and if you are heading that direction then you could go at least to the end of Long Canyon for a view of the waterpocket fold, circle cliffs and the park. However you would have to take the dirt road (and it is usually well maintained) about 5 miles through the park to get to the dramatic switchback section.

<<Please don't laugh - I am deathly afraid of flash flooding>>

You should be. The power of water is never more dangerous. That being said if you stay on roads the likelihood of you meeting up with a flash flood is miniscule. Most of the roads will have bridges over the washes where water flows. If you get off road or take a hike through the canyons then talk to a ranger first about weather conditions and about the areas where you will be going to find out where the danger spots are. The worst months are during the summer thunderstorms of July and August.

RMc
Austin, Tx
Level Contributor
54 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Ferry at Hall's Crossing, Burr Trail road

Just a word for the wise:

FYI

The car rental has the power to shut a car down by satelite if they think the car is not being used right. Proceed at your own discression. RMc

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Ferry at Hall's Crossing, Burr Trail road

All cars RMc? Or just the ones with the OnStar system.

Big Brother is watching you but I don't think the rentalcarcies will do that if the only "think" their car is misused. They can't judge about circumstances and emergency situations. It's a good idea if the car was stolen though.

Tet

Atlanta
Level Contributor
826 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Ferry at Hall's Crossing, Burr Trail road

<<I know we are not allowed to take the rental onto dirt roads, so there's the answer re: the Burr Trail Road... but what about if you are in a state/national park and you have no choice but to continue, do they make exceptions for that?>>

I believe you do have a choice...the choice to turn around from the way you came.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Ferry at Hall's Crossing, Burr Trail road

Plus....I don't know a National Park with only dirtroads. At least you can reach the visitor center on paved roads. Afa I can remember.

10. Re: Car Ferry at Hall's Crossing, Burr Trail road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 20:17
Get answers to your questions about Escalante