We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smokey Mountain Road

The Villages...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Topic
Smokey Mountain Road

I would like to see if there is someone who has driven the full 70 mile on Smokey Mountain Road, between Lake Powell and Escalante, Utah? We are thinking about doint it the first week in October. I have read some and seen many photo's. We will be taking a full size van (high wheel base). Some of the pictures that I have seen question whether of not we should be doing this drive??? Please......someone talk me into or out of making this trip.

Calf Creek Falls Recreation Area
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Waterfalls, Bodies of Water
Scenic Byway Route 12
Canyons, Caverns & Caves, National Parks, Hiking Trails, Off-Road & ATV Trails
Peekaboo Gulch
Geologic Formations
Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smokey Mountain Road

I did the whole road in my Tundra 4wd last year, it was easy all the way, if you have experience driving the vehicle on gravel roads with occasional bumpy bits you shouldn't have a problem. I would check with the Escalante rangers for current road conditions before setting out though, flash floods can easily cause impassable washouts.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smokey Mountain Road

We have driven Smokey Mountain Road with intermediate size rental SUVs twice.

Never any problems, but you should check in with the Kanab ranger station before heading off-road.

Another nice route connecting routes 89 and 12 is Skutumpah Road (some slot canyons along the way) - both roads are rather well maintained.

3. Re: Smokey Mountain Road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 12:23