We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Burr, Hole-in-the Rock questions

New York City
Level Contributor
215 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Burr, Hole-in-the Rock questions

We've allotted most of a day to drive Route 12 from Torrey to Bryce and would like to make the most of it. We're mid-30s with 3 boys (10, 8, 1.5) and enjoy beautiful views and short-medium hikes.

Which side trips would you recommend out of Lower Calf Creek, Burr Road, and Hole-in-the-Rock? Where is each located along the road, and in which order will we hit them coming from Torrey? We'll be driving a rented minivan and used to paved city streets, so would this be a problem for either Burr or Hole-in-the-Rock? How far do you have to go down either to get views or short hikes (Devil's Garden, slot canyons), and how long would each detour take?

For those who've been following all of my posts, I think this is all of the questions for now! Sorry for being so thorough, and thanks for your patience and recommendations!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,906 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Burr, Hole-in-the Rock questions

Anasazi State Park north of Boulder would be first. It would give you a taste of the early Americans and if you see Mesa Verde after this would help you to understand that a little better.

Then the Burr trail. You start in Boulder. I would recommend taking this at least about the first 15 miles all the way through and just past Long Canyon. You could stop in the Gulch and look for petroglypshs.

Then make sure to stop for views here and there. There is one overlooking Calf Creek that is nice especially if you hike it.

Calf Creek would be next. It is 6 miles with lots of sand, so should take some time. Take water!

Next I would recommend Hole in the Rock road to Devil's Garden. This is a dirt road, probably any damages occurring on it would not be covered by your rental agreement so consider that. However it is a maintained road and should not be a problem to Devil's Garden. This is a fun place for kids to explore look for lizards, climb rocks. (which reminds me have you got Goblin valley on your itinerary?- If you do then this may not be as essential, kind of the same thing). I don't know if I'd try the slot canyons down there, Little Wild Horse would be better, but if you didn't do it these might be fun to try. Make sure you have good instructions. You'd need no less than 2 hours, but 3 or 4 might be better for the drive, the canyons and Devil's Garden.

Also next there is the Escalante Visitors Center, the Petrified Wood hike at Escalante State park, a possible drive to Kodachrome Basin SP and/or Grosvenor Arch, though those would be lower on my list of things to do,,,only suggested if you for some reason get to that point of the road and still have lots of time.

2. Re: Burr, Hole-in-the Rock questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2009, 07:17