We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we re-think our plans for this weekend?

Which Escalante hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Should we re-think our plans for this weekend?

So as it usually seems to happen when we decide to take a trip, the weather is supposed to be hotter than normal this coming weekend. Our plans are to drive down the Hole-in-the-Rock road on Saturday, check out Devils Garden, then drive further down and do the Spookey/Peekaboo Gulch loop hike. It's supposed to hit 110 in Las Vegas, so I'm guessing high 90's for this area? Since we're used to the heat I think we'll be okay as long as we bring plenty of water, but is there any shade at all? Maybe once we're inside the slot canyons, but I'm guessing most of the hike will be in the sun? Then on Sunday I wanted to hike to Calf Creek Falls. I don't mind so much if that hike is warm since there is water we can get into to cool off.

I'm wondering if we should re-think our plans for Saturday?

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
629 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we re-think our plans for this weekend?

While only you can say for sure what your tolerance is, I would think that being from Vegas and being prepared with water, that you would be okay. I haven't personally done the Peekaboo/Spooky loop (we did a different slot on our recent trip down there), but from what I understand you do enter the slot pretty quickly on the hike, and once you're in there, YES it will be shady and quite cool. When we were recently there the temps were about 84 and the sun was blazing hot, but we also had nice breezes and with the correct "gear" (water, sunscreen, light longsleeve layers), it was quite nice. Good luck!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,784 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we re-think our plans for this weekend?

Were you planning to drive up Saturday morning? Or Friday night?

When hiking in the desert timing the hike does help, and you know that. Early morning or late afternoon (well early evening at this rate) might work well without you having to give up your plans.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,783 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we re-think our plans for this weekend?

Ivziggy, Do the slots first. You will have some exposure on the hike down and back up, but earlier in the day.. The slots should stay cool. Do, up Peekaboo and down Spooky, then you can hug the walls in the Dry fork of Coyote to get shade and limit exposure on the hike back. You'll love this hike. Some pretty tight spots to squeeze thru. Just believe you'll get thru, because you will. Water and small pack. Well...You know!

Have Fun!!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we re-think our plans for this weekend?

Kbec, you're right that it's best to hike in the morning when it's hot, but hubby likes to sleep in so I don't know how early we'll get out there. We're driving to Escalante on Friday, so we have all of Saturday to check out the Hole-in-the-Rock road. But yes, the earlier the better. Powder, good suggestion about doing the hike first. We can check out the Devils Garden on our way back. I don't think that really involves a hike, does it?

I'm just looking forward to finally being able to explore this area some, so hot weather or not, we'll be out there.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we re-think our plans for this weekend?

We survived the hike, despite the 100 degree heat and despite getting lost and going down a "mystery" slot canyon that no one mentioned is to the left of where Peekaboo is. This area is really great fun. I'd like to explore it more when it's a little cooler.

hhmm, I wanted to post some pix but it's not working, I'll try again.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we re-think our plans for this weekend?

Let's try it again https:/…

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,783 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we re-think our plans for this weekend?

I think the mystery slot is the dry fork of the Coyote. That would be left of Peekaboo. Great Pics!!

That's one tight sucker in Spooky! No packs allowed! 100 degs. Yikes! That's a water hike day.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,334 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we re-think our plans for this weekend?

Cool pictures.That was a big lizard,hopefully you got past what looked like a rattlesnake without too much problem.

Edited: 08 July 2011, 04:03
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we re-think our plans for this weekend?

They aren't kidding when they say overweight people can't get thru Spookey. The brim of my hat scraped on both sides, at the same time!

As for the rattlesnake, it's a good thing it was a baby - the canyon was only about 4' wide so I think an adult could easily have struck out and hit us as we squeezed by it.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should we re-think our plans for this weekend?

And Dez, thanks to your tip I've been watching Peter Lik's shows on TWC. I wish I had seen his show on slot canyons before I took these pictures. They're great shows. He gave a tip on photographing these slot canyons - turn the flash off. I'm curious how my pix would have turned out if I had known that.