We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a 4x4 near/in Escalante for the day.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
453 posts
244 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a 4x4 near/in Escalante for the day.

My family and I will be visiting the area in late June. We will be driving a sadan, but would like to rent a 4x4 for the day in order to get to Peekaboo and Spooky slot canyons without issues. We had heard that there was a place called (I believe) Escalante Jeep rentals who rent 4x4's for the day, but when I've tried to locate them, it appears that they might be out of business. Does anyone know if this is true? If not, can someone please give me either their phone number or website? If so, does anyone know of any other facility in the area that rents jeeps/4x4's for the day?

Calf Creek Falls Recreation Area
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Waterfalls, Bodies of Water
Scenic Byway Route 12
National Parks, Canyons, Caverns & Caves, Hiking Trails, Off-Road & ATV Trails
Peekaboo Gulch
Geologic Formations
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,352 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a 4x4 near/in Escalante for the day.

I don't know of anyone renting 4x4s in Escalante area and can't imagine there's enough demand to make a meaningful business there. Others may know of something more.

However, if you're cautious you should be OK going out as far as Peekaboo/Spooky. Technically you're in violation of your rental agreement. But the road is in pretty decent shape. If you drive prudently you're likely to be fine.

Have fun.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a 4x4 near/in Escalante for the day.

There are some outfitters in the area that should still be going. Here is one that I have seen from time to time that has been useful for info on HITR road.

http://www.utahcanyons.com/

You could contact them and see if they will volunteer some information.

Killer_bob (or someone else) may be able to help more

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a 4x4 near/in Escalante for the day.

I don't know of any Jeep rentals in Escalante. Utah Canyons has a guided hike to Peekaboo/Spooky which might be your best bet.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a 4x4 near/in Escalante for the day.

When I went out to Peekaboo and Spookey there were sedans at the trailhead. You need to check with the BLM visitor center on the condition of the Hole-in-the-Wall road if you're going to take your rental sedan out there. If the road is dry you should be fine. There will be some sandy spots and bumpy spots but if you're careful you should be okay. If there has been rain and the road is muddy, don't even try it. Even a 4x4 could have trouble in the muddy goop that can result from a good downpour. I know, I've tried to take my big 4x4 thru some of that goop. It doesn't work.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
453 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a 4x4 near/in Escalante for the day.

Thanks for your input, everyone!

Aurora, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,535 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a 4x4 near/in Escalante for the day.

I was doing a search of my own and found this site: www.highadventurerentals.com/Default.htm

They only show pictures and prices for ATV's but they do mention that they rent jeeps. Could be worth contacting.

Keith

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
453 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a 4x4 near/in Escalante for the day.

Thanks, Keith! I'll look into it.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
293 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a 4x4 near/in Escalante for the day.

Gwen. Did you find anything? I found one place online but $185 for a day is as much as my weekly rental out of Vegas. http://www.highadventurerentals.com/

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
453 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting a 4x4 near/in Escalante for the day.

We ended up renting a 4x4 out of Vegas. We figured the 4x4 would come in handy for some of the other locations we planned to visit on our trip.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
293 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Renting a 4x4 near/in Escalante for the day.

Thanks. We have a Mid size SUV and a Mustang Convertible reservation right now. hate to give up the Stang so I was hoping to keep in and rent an SUV out of Escalante just for that one day. But not at that rate! Enjoy the trip!