We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zion, escalante, lake powell

Which Escalante hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
105 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Zion, escalante, lake powell

Hi, I am planning a trip in June to Utah. We are flying into Las Vegas and I have 2 nights booked at the end of the trip in Zion.

I am looking for advice on Lake Powell and Escalante. How do you get to Lake P from Escalante? When I google it, it takes me about 3+ hours, and takes me to Page. Is there a way to the north side of the lake?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am totally unfamiliar with Utah.

thanks!

Ada, Michigan
Level Contributor
175 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zion, escalante, lake powell

Your best bet would be to get a ride with one of the many Mormon missionaries. If you plan it right this can work much the same as the collectivos in Mexico. Be careful and have fun!!!

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zion, escalante, lake powell

There is very little development on the north shore of the 'lake', the only other recreational opportunities are at Bullfrog Marina which is still quite a drive from Escalante. The best way to get there from Escalante would be to take the Burr Trail from Boulder but that is a long dirt road. Surely you've looked at a map of the area?

Michigan
Level Contributor
105 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zion, escalante, lake powell

Is it best just to visit lake powell from Page? Apparently the dirt road does not show up on my google map.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
16,967 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zion, escalante, lake powell

If you plan to end your trip in Zion, seeing Lake Powell via Page is closer than going to Bullfrog.Bullfrog is fairly remote.

Try posting your itinerary so recommendations can be made.

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,155 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zion, escalante, lake powell

You need a good road map.

The best one of the area is published by the Auto Club or American Automobile Association (AAA) and called Indian Country Guide Map. You can get this for free as a member or buy one at an AAA office. I've also seen these for sale on Ebay and Amazon.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,081 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zion, escalante, lake powell

Plan to go to Page. How much total time do you really have? Is it just the two nights you've dedicated for Zion?

Michigan
Level Contributor
105 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zion, escalante, lake powell

We have 7 days. The only thing I have booked is 2 nights in Zion at the end of the trip. The kids want to go canyoning in Escalante. I have always wanted to do the "Lake Powell" thing, but we don't want to spend the week on the lake, but maybe a day on a ski boat. Would like to do the house boat thing with extended family in the future.

So... so far we are flying into and out of LV. Trying to hit Lake Powell and Escalante in the first 5 days of the trip. Just wondering the best way to do that and end in Zion. My trip is very open at this time.

Trip is scheduled for the first week in June. I was told Burr Trail was a cool way I could take from escalante to bullfrog where I could rent a boat and have a nice day on the lake from there.

Is lake Powell more interesting closer to Page or Bullfrog?

thanks!

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zion, escalante, lake powell

"Is lake Powell more interesting closer to Page or Bullfrog?"

I think only you can answer that. Page has a lot more amenities and people, Bullfrog is much more remote and has many 'secret' side canyons you can explore. There is plenty of room for skiing at either, I wonder if the water surface temperature will be cooler at Bullfrog since it's closer to the intake? (It averages 70F in June which I assume is at Page)

Beacon Falls...
Level Contributor
8 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Zion, escalante, lake powell

For some reason page is overlooked by travelers. We spent 3 full days in page-did a calm water float with colorado river discovery-full day boat trip on lakepowell to rainbow bridge and a morning photography tour at antelope slot canyon.

Atascadero...
Destination Expert
for Lake Powell
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Zion, escalante, lake powell

To answer killer_bob's question about water temperature at Bullfrog vs. Page, they are pretty much identical. You only notice a (slight) temperature drop north of White Canyon, near Hite, closer to where the Colorado River fans out into Lake Powell.

As for which part of the lake is better--near Page or Bullfrog? Bullfrog, without a doubt. More nearby side canyons, fewer people, more dramatic canyon scenery. All that to say, the best part of the lake is between the two, more or less from about mile marker 35 (near Rock Creek Bay) to mile 68 (the mouth of the Escalante River). That's where the great concentration of narrow side canyons are, plus Rainbow Bridge, the backdrop of Navajo Mountain, and Hole in the Rock. And that area can be reached just about as easily from either Page or Bullfrog.

Get answers to your questions about Escalante