We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will NP shutdown affect access to Hole-In-The-Rock rd?

Which Escalante hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Huntsville, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Will NP shutdown affect access to Hole-In-The-Rock rd?

.... and the trails off of it?

London, United...
Level Contributor
503 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will NP shutdown affect access to Hole-In-The-Rock rd?

Not as far as i'm aware. Hole in the Rock Road is located in Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument, administered by the BLM, not the National Park Service.

However, i've have seen that the BLM have closed down their social media feeds today that until the closure is over, so perhaps their services on the ground are also closed? Maybe the visitor centres are not open during the closure, i'm not totally sure. BLM land is pretty much wild though, so you should be free to go almost anywhere you like, just be aware that support & infrastructure may not be as reliable as it usually is right now.

You should be aware also that HITRR and all roads within GSENM were closed in mid September due to unprecedented heavy rains. HITRR was washed away in several areas. I believe the County have begun to repair and re-grade the road, however i'm not sure how much they've done. The last I heard, the road was passable by HC vehicles to Hurricane Wash. I'd be wary of going too far down there in a 2WD passenger car right now...

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,108 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will NP shutdown affect access to Hole-In-The-Rock rd?

At this point, I do not think anyone can truly state how far the closures will affect govt public lands. It has been said that lands outside of the National Park service will be protected and patrolled by the public lands employees. How that translates into physical land closures remains to be seen. I am sure there will be reports very soon as to what action the BLM and Forest services are going to take. Here is some news in the meantime. Take it FWIW>> doi.gov/shutdown/…BLM-Contingency-Plan.pdf

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will NP shutdown affect access to Hole-In-The-Rock rd?

I'm meeting up with a group of folks starting tomorrow in Escalante. We plan on still going out to HITR rd and accessing some of our hikes. As far as I know there would be no reason not to let us hike out there. There are no gates to keep us out and it is maintained by the county. That is how I'm approaching it.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,229 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will NP shutdown affect access to Hole-In-The-Rock rd?

Here is the "official" word from the BLM. At worst they may post a sign saying there will not be any patrols or maintenance. Also, no rescues if the need arises. That's something to keep in mind. I'll be with Powderglut and a fairly large party so if we run into problems we can help ourselves. Someone with fewer resources may want to think twice about going in this area.

doi.gov/shutdown/…BLM-Contingency-Plan.pdf

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will NP shutdown affect access to Hole-In-The-Rock rd?

ziggy, I think search + rescue is a "county run" organization. BLM does not do that, as far as I know. Garfield and Kane county are the resource.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,229 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will NP shutdown affect access to Hole-In-The-Rock rd?

PG, that may be true. I was just repeating what the BLM articles says. Getting help out in the wide open spaces of the Grand Staircase is always an iffy thing anyways.

7. Re: Will NP shutdown affect access to Hole-In-The-Rock rd?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2014, 06:39
Get answers to your questions about Escalante