We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TA Escalante Meet-Up TR

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,820 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
TA Escalante Meet-Up TR

All I can say is.... this idea that DannyS had a few years back, to meet-up at some Utah destination and make it our own, is an event I now look forward to every year. It's the best! Getting together with this group of Utah DE maniacs and exploring, hiking and doing dinners together, well.... once again another epic adventure.

I'm not going to give a blow by blow of every day. Way too much for my poor little fingers to type. So... the condensed version.

Wed: A beautiful 7-1/2 hr+ drive from Steamboat Spgs CO over Boulder Mt to the Escalante house. We shared this with the Hick's, Jersey's and Wings. A very colorful fall ride thru all the alpine areas. An excellent BBQ dinner at the house with old friends, and now some new ones.

Thu: The plan was to hike Spooky/Peekaboo slot canyons in the Dry Fork of Coyote Gulch. (26 miles out Hole in the Rock rd). Some car problems on the way out, added some glitches to the days event. We finally got most of the crew together just before lunch time. We decided to try doing the loop from Spooky and back to Peekaboo. I've done it the other way and still suggest this route as easier. This fall's flash floods, changed the dynamics of the canyons, making this a lot more of a challenge than we expected. In the end, only 5 of us completed the full circle. Still, a beautiful challenging hike. Fajita nite at the house. Another epic meal!

Fri: Canyoneering day with Excursions of Escalante. 8 of us aboard, to rappel and squeeze our way thru one of the Grand Staircase's amazing slot canyons. Was it good. OH BABY!! We were scratched, muddy, exhilarated by the rope drops, and colors of this twisty convoluted canyon. This is a highly worthy adventure for those wanting to see the crazy side of canyon exploring. Dinner at Slot Canyon Inn was excellent.

Sat: Exploring Big Horn Canyon with most of the crew. This can be accessed off of Harris Wash or Old Sheffield road. We used the latter. We didn't get off to a blazing start that morning. And.. with our group dinner at Hell's Backbone in Boulder at 5:30, we really couldn't give this one the necessary time to see all the highlights of this very colorful canyon. Next time, for sure. An excellent dinner at the Hell's Backbone Grill in Boulder. Highly recommended!!

Sun: A hike I've been really looking forward to. The Cosmic Ashtray on the eastern side of Red Breaks was our destination. This is a crater type formation with a cone in the middle. Other names for this: Escavolcano, Islomania Dome, and Red Breaks Crater. I had planned on getting to this formation this past spring. It just loomed much too far for our approach from the west side of Red Breaks this time. So.. I marked it as a destination for this trip, to come in from the East side. It was a superior quality slickrock hike, with a fair amount of map and GPS aid to find this hidden gem. Great job by the whole crew!

OK! So much food left over from the BBQ and Fajitas, that we decided to have leftovers for dinner. Apologies to Escalante Outfitters for not following thru with our Pizza Nite on Sunday. We just had way too much food to waste. It turned out to be a pretty great meal.

Mon: A breakfast with more leftovers (Mexican theme) and then hugs goodbye to all my house mates. Driving back home to reality. Another fantastic meet-up with my TA friends. Can't wait for the next one.

https:/…

Use slide show feature for biggest picture views.

1. Re: TA Escalante Meet-Up TR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 22 September 2014, 18:35
Bedford,U.K
Level Contributor
1,229 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TA Escalante Meet-Up TR

Great story telling photos.

Luvved the shot with all of you guys with muddy boots like a bunch of naughty school kids.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,310 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TA Escalante Meet-Up TR

Nice condensed TR PG. I'm still working on mine - it's a bit longer.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,310 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TA Escalante Meet-Up TR

And wow, PG, great pictures you got. I'm going to put some on FB if you don't mind.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,518 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TA Escalante Meet-Up TR

Nice work PG. Awesome pics!

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,745 posts
809 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TA Escalante Meet-Up TR

Come hell or high water - I'll be at the next one as well !!!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,310 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: TA Escalante Meet-Up TR

Excellent summary PG! For readers who aren't sure if they want to plow through what will probably be a dozen Trip Reports from this same gathering, yours should be the 'Read Me First' column.

It was so good to see you again. As noted by you and elsewhere in these threads, the friendships and bonding that takes place at these events has been unimaginable. No way to describe it. You just have to experience it.

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,220 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: TA Escalante Meet-Up TR

Thanks, PG, for the work you did to give us all great daily adventures. Nice photos. You even got ones of the Moqui marbles!

For those who haven't looked, Powderglut posted a review of Excursions of Escalante in the "things to do" section of Trip Advisor with half a dozen terrific photos.

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g56980-Activitie…

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,745 posts
809 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: TA Escalante Meet-Up TR

Oh PG, these pictures are indeed wonderful ... I wrote a review as well, but for soem strange reasons mine is still pending ...

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,474 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: TA Escalante Meet-Up TR

I'm having so much fun read all the different versions and interpretations of the meet up TRs and all the different photos taken from different lenses and angles. So wonderful. Just gotta make the next one, as you all had a blast!

SWT