We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

off road info

B.C.
2 posts
Save Topic
off road info

I'm going on a road trip Monday to Utah for some off road touring. After Canyonlands / Moab, I'm heading Southwest to Vegas. Anybody done the Burr trail? Is it worth it, or easier and just as scenic to take the hwy.

The other trail I'm not sure about is Escalante to the hole in the rock (about 55 miles). Is that worth the side trip? We are totally self sufficient in a very capable four wheel drive.

Thanks for any info.,

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: off road info

Depends a bit on exactly which section of highway you'd be foregoing by doing the Burr Trail, but in general the Burr Trail is very scenic and not difficult at all. Most of it is paved actually. Just beware if heavy rain is forecast. It can make some of the unpaved roads in the region impassable to all vehicles, even 4x4. (The next several days are looking perfect at this point).

Of course, you may well pass up the spectacular drive on UT 12 b/w Torrey and Boulder by doing the Burr Trail. This section of the road climbs to nearly 10,000 foot as it crosses the shoulder of Boulder Mountain, a high plateau that will very likely have a beautiful splash of fall colors in the next couple weeks.

As for Hole in the Rock. I've driven the road as far as 40 mile ridge. It's a fine graded road to this point, but can be badly washboarded. The last several miles to the Hole in the Rock itself, are serious 4x4 terrain--my neighbors did it a couple years and said they had troubles even with their Toyota Tundra. At the end you get a view of 'Lake' Powell which I and many others consider an ugly scar on a beautiful landscape, but which many people love. I suppose its attractive in a Pamela Andersen sort of way.

B.C.
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: off road info

thanks bretty. Great info

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: off road info

Please do let us know how the trip turns out.

Also in the area consider the Hells Backbone Road, an alternative route b/w Boulder and Escalante. It's supposed to be spectacular; I have yet to do it myself, but am planning to the weekend after next.

Wrt Hole in the Rock Rd, the scenery is rather open, and perhaps less viscerally stunning than some places in the region, but still beautiful. (By comments apply only as far 40 mile ridge, the section I've drive). Some of the side canyons are just stunning though--like Coyote Gulch, which is difficult to visit on a day hike, but has to be one of the most spectacular places on earth. Also check out Peek a Boo and Spooky Gulches, Devils Garden, and perhaps Willow Gulch to Broken Bow Arch. Haven't done any of these firsthand, but they're on the list.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: off road info

Hell's Backbone is indeed a spectacular road, I did it on Sunday. In a couple of weeks it should be perfect for leaf peeping, it's a bit more sheltered than most of the area and the aspen hadn't turned much at all.

I spoke to a motorcyclist who rode two up to Hole In The Rock last weekend, he didn't think the road was much of a problem and was impressed by the scenery, haven't done it myself yet.

Bob Palin

killer@bobpalin.com

5. Re: off road info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 11:18