We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Wave in February

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
44 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
The Wave in February

I just got a permit for Coyote Buttes North for mid-February. What are the chances of getting snow out at the Wave? Also, is House Rock Valley Road usually impassable that time of year? I do know a guide/friend w/4WD so that's not a problem, but don't want to drag him out there if it's just a muddy mess that time of year. Lastly, are there ANY motels open in Kanab that time of year, or is it best to stay somewhere else?

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,844 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Wave in February

I imagine getting snow shots are always possible during winter. We got snowed on 2 years ago in the spring. It did slick the road up a bit. HRV rd dries pretty quickly though, after rain or snow. If it is frozen it shouldn't be a problem. This is also the time the locals tend to score permits. Here's a site that will give you some insight and some snow shots.

zionnational-park.com/images/…index59.htm

I'm sure most of the chain motels will be in operation. The BLM office in Kanab, should be able to give you current road conditions while you are there.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,891 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Wave in February

Congratulations. I'll wish for you a blue winter day like I had a few years back when I went the end of Jan. It was gorgeous.

Kanab should have plenty of rooms. The only other realistic place to stay would be Page, and I'm pretty sure it would have less lodging than Kanab. We had no trouble getting what we wanted for our late January trip. But we didn't wait till the last minute either.

As powderglut says if it is nice and cold the road is frozen and not a problem at all. Just keep hoping the weather is good. It does get snow, but not as much of a problem as the mountains. I've seen lots of pictures with snow in them of the wave hike, so don't let that stop you, as long as the road is good. Be prepared with warm clothes.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,829 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Wave in February

It will be what it will be. You'll have a great time, no matter what the weather is like. Don't worry. Just be prepared. You won't be able to guess until a week or two before the date anyway.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
44 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Wave in February

Great, thanks for the info and link to great pics! I've been to the Wave in August, so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it in winter. Kanab seems to shut down in the winter, but yeah, the chains probably should be open. I tend to favor the locally owned places, but if I have to suck it up and stay at a chain, it could be worse!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,891 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Wave in February

We stayed at the Parry Lodge in Jan, they have rooms the Stars stayed in,,, I was really hoping for the Omar Sharif room, but ended up with one of the generics. Good people.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
44 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Wave in February

Nice looking place, but a little pricey for me (I'm a budget traveler). I was most worried about House Rock Valley Road, but glad to hear it usually dries out fast. I'm definitely looking forward to the Wave and CBN in winter now!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,610 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Wave in February

I just stayed at a place called the Treasure Trail. Total 50s look on the outside, but remodeled and new on the inside.Free golf(don't think that will work in January)and gas discounts at the station down the street.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Wave in February

My vote for a locally owned motel in Kanab is the Quail Park Lodge. They cater to people who are visiting Best Friends Animal Sanctuary, so they probably are open year round.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,891 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Wave in February

I checked rates for Feb at Parry Lodge,,, most nights were $50, even the movie rooms. Not sure why you say they are pricey.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
44 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Wave in February

$50 for Parry Lodge? Wow, usually they're more than double that, but I've never been to Kanab in the off season. Appreciate all the suggestions, will look into them all. I sure wish I were there right now with the snow they're getting. Anyone ever hiked to the Wave in snow? I imagine it would only get a few inches at most, but I'll bet it's a spectacular scene!