We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Friends Animal Sanctuary info

Which Kanab hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hudsonville
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Best Friends Animal Sanctuary info

I found out about this place on TA and plan to visit with my family while on vacation in the area. Wondering if or how much interaction we are able to have with the animals? Also, how much time should we plan on, and do we need reservations?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,073 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Friends Animal Sanctuary info

Go to the website for BFAS. You will need to make reservations and the forms are long, thorough and time consuming. By the time you get through that process you'll know everything you'll need to know and what to expect.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,637 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Friends Animal Sanctuary info

Here' the link to the website:

http://www.bestfriends.org/

When we were in Kanab last fall, my wife spent a day at BF and she hada great time (me? I went hiking...I muck stalls every other day of the year!). I asked her your questions about "how much interaction we are able to have with the animals?" She said, "as much as you want!"

She further stated that the folks at BF will match you to whatever it is you want/like to do. Some folks wanted to work/play with the puppies and kittens, some wanted to walk the dogs. My wife just asked the staff to put her to work, so she was assigned to help out in with the cats that that were more special needs or sick. Bottom line is that she had a wonderful time and would do this again anytime.

She spent most of the day at BF and worked in at least two areas.

The application process is long, as RR mentioned. They ask for references. My wife listed our small animal vet as one reference (she may have listed our large animal vet as well).

From all accounts, it is a worthwhile experience. She highly recomments volunteering at Best Friends.

Cedar City, UT
Level Contributor
307 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Friends Animal Sanctuary info

If you're just going to visit and take the tour then you don't need to do the paperwork or have advance reservations, at least that's been the case each time I've taken guests, although it's been a couple of years since the last visit.

Volunteering is different, as stated above, so do check with them first, depending on your time and plans.

It's all a wonderful experience as an amazing organization, run by incredible people, in a beautiful location.

We've been supporters for years and the ashes of my mother's previous dog are peacefully interred at the Best Friend's Angels Rest.

They do a lovely and touching ceremony, at the end of each month, for all the animals who had been lucky enough to live out their life at Best Friends and had passed that month. It's primarily attended by employees and volunteers, but visitors are also welcome.

Your family will love your time there.

Cedar City, UT
Level Contributor
307 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Friends Animal Sanctuary info

If you're just going to visit and take the tour then you don't need to do the paperwork or have advance reservations, at least that's been the case each time I've taken guests, although it's been a couple of years since the last visit.

Volunteering is different, as stated above, so do check with them first, depending on your time and plans.

It's all a wonderful experience as an amazing organization, run by incredible people, in a beautiful location.

We've been supporters for years and the ashes of my mother's previous dog are peacefully interred at the Best Friend's Angels Rest.

They do a lovely and touching ceremony, at the end of each month, for all the animals who had been lucky enough to live out their life at Best Friends and had passed that month. It's primarily attended by employees and volunteers, but visitors are also welcome.

Your family will love your time there.

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Friends Animal Sanctuary info

My husband and I took the an afternoon tour one day and volunteered for a morning the next day at Best Friends in Sept 2011. We filled out the application at the Best Friends website which does ask for references--we also gave veterinarians as references. Volunteering was fantastic with tons of animal interaction. We went to puppy class first and got to help train and socialize, we were each assigned a puppy of our own. They were too cute!!!! Then we went to Old Friends in Dogtown and walked mainly senior dogs. There is a special place in my heart for the seniors, and this was just as great as working with the puppies. We were so impressed with the organization of Best Friends and the caring friendly staff. This place is run like a well oiled machine and the animals get loving individual treatment. Even on the tour you get to go inside a dog and a cat compound and interact with some animals. If you like animals you will love Best Friends!

6. Re: Best Friends Animal Sanctuary info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2013, 10:18