We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transportation from Zion National Park/Wave lottery

San Francisco
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Topic
Public transportation from Zion National Park/Wave lottery

I have a couple of questions for you all. 1) Do you know whether there is any public transportation between Zion National Park and Kanab? 2) If we want to try the in person Wave lottery in Kanab, do both of us who plan to do the trip need to be there, or is one person sufficient? 3) Any ideas regarding the number of people who might enter the lottery around November 18th?

Thanks for your help!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,149 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transportation from Zion National Park/Wave lottery

No public transport that I'm aware of, certainly not to get you to Kanab that early in the morning. How are you getting to Zion? You need a car.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transportation from Zion National Park/Wave lottery

Actually, there is a shuttle from Las Vegas airport to Zion. Either I will pick up the car and my friend will join me by shuttle a couple of days later in Zion, or she will pick up the car.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,149 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transportation from Zion National Park/Wave lottery

I know there's a shuttle from LV to Zion, but not from Zion to Kanab.

My point is that you need a car to get to Kanab, and you certainly would need one to get to the trail head if you win the lottery. That vehicle needs high clearance. And you realize I'm sure that the lottery is for the following day.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transportation from Zion National Park/Wave lottery

Only one person needs to be there to get the permit. A wild guess for amount of people? Anywhere from 50-70 to compete for 10 spots. This is just a guess. That was the avg each time I tried in late April/May.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,424 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transportation from Zion National Park/Wave lottery

There are an abundance of shuttle providers that serve one way trips to the kolob section and East Zion. http://www.redrockshuttle.com/ may serve a larger area, though by later November, their services may be curtailed due to the season. I will also state that even if you can get to/from Kanab, getting to the trailhead for the wave will be yet another problem.

Kanab is a small town, that does not have any type of public transportation system, my knowledge anyways, and likely to the knowledge of the rest of the contributors on this forum. St George is the nearest taxi provider. Keep in mind that any of these public services will likely get pretty expensive.

I am sure everyone believes the US govt shutdown will end soon(and well before Nov 18), but at this point, the kanab field office is still closed.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,684 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public transportation from Zion National Park/Wave lottery

I haven't used these folks, but they are locals and probably know the area as good as anyone. They might even be able to run a shuttle for you to the Wave. As they saying goes, money talks. Good luck.

nationalparktourz.com/kanabsouthern-utah-are…

San Francisco
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Public transportation from Zion National Park/Wave lottery

Thanks very much everyone. The Wave lottery odds seem better than I thought. I realize we will need a car to get to the trailhead and that the lottery is for the next day. My friend likely will be arriving in Las Vegas a couple of days after I do and is a better driver, so I thought she could pick up the car, and I could meet her in Kanab after trying our luck in the lottery (we already lost on-line) and spending Saturday afternoon and Sunday in Zion. I called almost all the car rental companies, and everyone other than National requires both people to be present at a car rental office to add an additional driver, and other than Avis at the Page airport, there does not seem to be a rental office along our route (Zion, Kanab, Page, South rim of Grand Canyon).

Edited: 15 October 2013, 16:42
8. Re: Public transportation from Zion National Park/Wave lottery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2014, 06:20