We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good photo spots from Vegas to Kanab drive?

Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Topic
Good photo spots from Vegas to Kanab drive?

I'll be in the SouthWest for a week long vacation. Just wondering whether you guys had ideas for stops I can make along the way, with the emphasis on photography. I'll be traveling with family so hikes can't be too difficult. We'll also be in a normal car, not 4WD

So far I have found Coral Pink Sand Dunes, Red Cliff area (Yant Flat, Reef trail) which I'm researching. Any tips would be very help!

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
109 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good photo spots from Vegas to Kanab drive?

Well, the obvious choice would be Zion National Park

Otherwise, you're passing by two state parks - Valley of Fire in Nevada and Snow Canyon in Utah

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,651 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good photo spots from Vegas to Kanab drive?

Welcome to the forum, Andy C.

Are you spending the entire week in Kanab? There are a LOT of great places to explore and most all lend themselves nicely to the camera. Zion has been mentioned, but you also have the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and Bryce Canyon in the general area. There is Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend and Lake Powell in the area around Page, AZ. There are lovely views along just about any stretch of road in southern UT; scenic route 12 is one of the best.

Perhaps you could tell us a bit more about your trip so that we can better advise you.

You might find this useful:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28965-c177493/Utah:U…

It is a travel article on touring the Grand Circle and should be useful in planning your trip.

Edited: 13 April 2014, 13:47
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,883 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good photo spots from Vegas to Kanab drive?

Welcome to the TA forums Andy C,

There are millions of good spots for photography anywhere along that route. Kind of hard to pin down what you'd be looking for. More information would be helpful.

Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Good photo spots from Vegas to Kanab drive?

Thanks for the responses. Sorry I should have been more clear: I meant interesting photo spots in the immediate vicinity along the route from Vegas to Kanab on I-15 and AZ-389. I plan on going to the popular spots like Zion, Page, etc during the trip but I'm looking for any interesting small side trips that are not as well known and won't take too much time. As an example, so far I've found Coral Pink Sand Dunes, Red Cliff area (Reef trail), Water Canyon

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,883 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good photo spots from Vegas to Kanab drive?

Water Canyon will not necessarily be something that "won't take too much time", nor really is Red Cliffs (plus it is a little off your path). But they will be nice photo spots.

THe Virgin River Gorge (between Mesquite and St George) itself is scenic, but I have no idea how you'd get a shot of it, there are very few pull offs.

The Warner Valley is a special place for me,,, Ft Pierce and some dinosaur prints. Dirt Road

The Kolob Terrace road out of Virgin might be something you should look at. It is the road to the NW corner of Zions.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,435 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good photo spots from Vegas to Kanab drive?

Snow Canyon was my initial thought. Fairly close to I-15 right by St. George. Very amazing area with sand dunes and great rock formations.

The canyon going from Mesquite to St George is great but I don't recall places to stop and pull over for exploring, view points, or photography. It's been a couple of years since I've driven to Vegas from SLC.

The last I can think of is Gunlock Waterfalls.

7. Re: Good photo spots from Vegas to Kanab drive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 14:21
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good photo spots from Vegas to Kanab drive?

There are no designated parking lots off I15 between Mesquite and St. George but you still can get off the road and make pictures. It's a wonderful area, Be careful getting back to the interstate though.

The exit to Sand Hollow SP is between St. George and Hurricane and some great views there but you'll have to pay an entrance fee.

9. Re: Good photo spots from Vegas to Kanab drive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2015, 05:15