We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kanab area itinerary

Pointe Claire...
Level Contributor
15 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Kanab area itinerary

Having to rework part of our road trip since we were lucky enough to win the online lottery to hike The Wave in late August. Angel's Landing will have to wait for another year....Will be driving in from Jackson after having spent time in Yellowstone and Grand Teton.....This will leave us a full day before and a full day after our Wave hike to enjoy the surrounding landscape.....Was thinking of Horseshoe Bend and Antelope Canyon but not sure if we should aim to do this the day before or after our Wave Hike. How far in advance do we have to reserve for Antelope Canyon?

If not we were thinking of North Rim..we saw the South Rim last year...So many choices...Have never been to Lake Powell either...

Are there any other must sees in the area? We hiked many trails in Zion, Bryce and Canyonlands last year.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,827 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kanab area itinerary

I'm assuming you'll be coming down I-15 to Kanab?

A couple thoughts. You could visit the Kolob Canyons section of Zions if you haven't done so already.

You could instead come down via Torrey and hwy 12. Visit Capitol Reef... hike calf creek falls, or Willis creek.

The North Rim would be a great idea, it is really beautiful there. You could do that the day before.

Then head to Page the day after for antelope canyon. That is a crazy time of year for antelope canyon from all reports so I would call from a month to a week out. Consider Lower Canyon for which there are no reservations taken. Also try for an early time of day or later in the day to avoid the most crowds.

Also please be well prepared for your hike. Temps in August on the Wave Hike have been disastrous.

Pointe Claire...
Level Contributor
15 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kanab area itinerary

Thanks for the info Kbecjeans....

Indeed will be driving via I-15 to Kanab. Will most likely drive scenic route 12 from Kanab to Moab as we are staying in Moab 4 nights after Kanab....Drove that route last year as well and it was absolutely stunning.

Will certainly try and be as prepared as possible for The Wave hike...will have 3 L hydration packs and add a few more water bottles...,better practice hiking with all that added weight....and of course adequate food....sun hat, sunscreen, emergency blanket....mini first aid kit...and of course cameras...still not sure if we should wear hiking boots or just lightweight hiking shoes or keen sandals? My biggest worry is we are coming from Yellowstone and. Jackson so will not be accustomed to warmer weather...last year we hiked Arches when it was 100 degrees according to the car temp...just did it slow and easy....but we had been to Zion and Bryce before that and were a but more used to the heat... So would kolob canyon be better than Cedar Breaks?

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,268 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kanab area itinerary

"would Kolob Canyons be better than Cedar Breaks" Depends on who you ask. Cedar Breaks will be fairly similar to Bryce, but is a high altitude destination that is open only a small portion of the year. Kolob Canyons has most of the same sedimentary features as the Zion you have already seen, with some of the influences of the higher plateau regions in the area in terms of cool temps and vegetation.

Have not hiked the wave myself, though you willo be best served by hiking with lightweight footgear in August, to best preserve your stamina and keep your heat dissipation as high as possible.

Some experienced hikers in the Wave area have talked about hiding/stashing frozen water along the way inwards.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Kanab area itinerary

I would have suggested on your drive down from Jackson that you drive to torrey for the night then drive UT 12 to Kanab.

next day you have the wave. do the wave in the morning. evening in Page.

the day after in Page

then drive Page to Moab thru Monument Valley.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kanab area itinerary

You really need to plan on starting your hike to the Wave before sunrise. The entire hike is over hot sandstone and there is no shade whatsoever. It;s one thing to have plenty of water. Unfortunately, if you overheat all the water in the world isn't what you need. You need to cool down. If you can freeze a water bottle to bring it might help, although even that will probably melt before you start your hike back to the car. Make sure you have salty snacks too, like nuts or pretzels.

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kanab area itinerary

Agree on salty, also add fresh fruit or sugar type snacks that won't melt or get mushy. Grapes are my personal favorite (you can freeze them too!) but apples and oranges are great also. A quick burst of sugar when you're worn out always helps me.

STASH some water about a mile into the hike for pickup when you leave, in as shady a spot as you can. There will be small caves and hidden areas, just look for them.

Drive there before sunrise and start the hike at sunrise. Stay until close to sunset (but not after dark, you won't find your way out). Determine how long it took you to hike in, and double that time for the hike out.

REST UP and take your time once you get to the Wave itself. Take LOTS of pictures! You don't want to hike out during the hottest part of the day.

Maybe take a thermal blanket to hide from the sun (there is some shade, but it's sitting on hot rocks.)

That last slug up the sand hill to the Wave is the hardest part of the hike. Once you've conquered that the rest is almost cake (if it wasn't desert hiking in August!)

You're gonna LOVE the wave!

If there is something really special you want to see, do it the day BEFORE your Wave hike, just in case your too tired to go anywhere the day afterwards.

*Pixie*

Edited: 28 May 2014, 15:43
Bedford,U.K
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kanab area itinerary

"STASH some water about a mile into the hike for pickup when you leave, in as shady a spot as you can. There will be small caves and hidden areas, just look for them."

Clever!

Pointe Claire...
Level Contributor
15 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kanab area itinerary

Stashing water"..indeed clever...I have read that on some other forums but always thought..isn't that littering if you can't find it on the way back....

Nice to know there are some places to stash water....

Will make sure to have sweet and salty snacks with us as well as a lunch...even thinking of making sure the cooler in the car is full in case it rains and we can't get back down the road....

Hike before sunrise....HMMM that will take some convincing on my part to get my husband to wake up that early but I sure will try....it does make sense....

So many diff routes to take.....thanks for the suggestion re: Torrey and route 12.... Rooms already booked for our trip so not so easy to change...

Will certainly try and take loads of pics..last year took almost 5000 in 2 weeks....

Was wondering how tired the heat would make us so might be a good idea to do Page and Antelope Canyon the day before and then if we feel up to a drive day after the wave we can go to North Rim or just hang around Kanab

Still wondering re:Merrel hiking shoes, my Ecco boots or my Keen sandals... I get that my leather hikers might be too hot but am worried my keen sandals will be difficult as sand will get in them...

Do we have to be worried about scorpions and rattlesnakes?

Thanks so much for your help....

Pointe Claire...
Level Contributor
15 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kanab area itinerary

Just found a cooling neck tie.....was sceptical that it could help but tried it on while gardening and it really does seem to help cool you down...will try it when Hiking The Wave....

10 weeks till the big road trip begins...can't wait....

Grand Junction...
Destination Expert
for Bluff
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kanab area itinerary

I'm very big on consuming "sport" drinks (gatorade etc) when I hike. I alternate them with my water. They contain alot of sodium, potassium and sugar. I found the cooling neck tie didn't last as long as I hoped. We did see one rattler on our Wave hike a couple of years ago and a couple of non venous one along the trail. Maybe having a GPS with way points for your hike back out. Have a great time.